The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vertical knee Bb
Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 1:24 pm    

I'm wondering (maybe hadn't thought it ought enough) how the B to Bb vertical lever helps. Right now I have G# to G vertical lever and I use it to minor the major at the fret location. I'm kind of liking that minor configuration along with other standard type minor configurations. How does flattening the B string help? I'm probably missing something.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Steve Knight

NC
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 1:43 pm    

I use it most often to get a dominant 7th chord two frets below. If you play a C triad at the 8th fret on strings 5,6,8, then slide back two frets, that G,E,C voicing becomes F, D, Bb. If you hit that vertical lever, you end up with E, D, Bb for a C9 chord (one type of C dominant 7th.) I'll use that voicing when going from C at the 8th fret to the F triad at the 4th fret with A/F engaged. Then I release A/F and go to G at the 3rd fret.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 1:51 pm    

With the A pedal down it becomes the C# to C lever and enables A minor and diminished.

It's also the B to A# lever giving a 7th chord with the root on the 7th string two frets back (as Steve explains).

Maybe these different ways of thinking will help. If you play C6 at all you'll see it has the same melodic potential as the 3rd string lower on that tuning. (On a universal it's one and the same.)

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 4:21 am    

If you look at Buddy's tabs, he used it in many ways. But us mere mortals use the ways stated above, also as a passing melody note on the minor position using the Es lowered. That said, Jernigan, Franklin, and Johnson(to name a few) don't have it! I currently have it on my 4th pedal, but usually get the voicing raising with the F lever and B pedal one fret lower.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 6:58 am    

Wrong topic.
Deleted.

Pete Bailey

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 11:19 am    

One of the most common uses is to add in the B->Bb lever with AB pedals for a minor chord at the same fret as the major chord.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 11:40 am    

It's interesting to compare that minor with the one a fret up with the Es lowered. Same chord but more interesting movement - an artistic choice!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 11:51 am    

I rarely use the Bb knee lever by itself. I do use it a lot with he A pedal to achieve a half tone raise. It completely transforms the E9th tuning if used this way. A bunch of the tabs posted in the link below use it this way:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/C6th%20On%20E9th/C6th%20On%20E9th.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Pete Bailey

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 12:00 pm    

The Bb lever by itself is great, making that sweet ninth chord at -2 frets from the open position.

It mirrors the voicing you get when you have AB down and you engage the E lowers and move down 2 frets.

Mmmmmm, ninths.

The choice between AB+X (the Bb lever) and just E at +1 fret is a rich one too. I use both all the time. The E lever at +1 is really nice as you can switch to the F lever for a minor 6th voicing.

But AB+X is great if you want to keep some melody going on the high strings above your chordal voicing.

Who invented this crazy thing anyway? Smile

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 12:47 pm    

I use it on lots of songs when they go from a 1 to a 2- 7/9, or from a 4 to a 5- 7/9. I find I use it more than a minor.

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 10:36 am     Thanks

I appreciate the comments. Looks like several uses for Bb lever.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Steve Knight

NC
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 10:39 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I use it on lots of songs when they go from a 1 to a 2- 7/9, or from a 4 to a 5- 7/9.

That's great, Donny. I am definitely going to use that one now.