The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal steel tote.
Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 9:10 am    

I made a cover for my GFI and added handles. Put the cover on the guitar, turn it upside down in the case and then you can lift and carry the body anywhere. Save your back, carry the case and legs separately.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 7:26 am     Steel guitar tote

Robert, there has been much discussion on this forum about using soft case(s) to move your steel guitar. I'm not aware of anyone making a soft case for steel but with some modification a nylon piano case will work. You'll likely need to add some padding and some type of board to stiffen the bottom. I found that setting up the steel, attaching the legs and pedals requires the case to be semi-rigid. I added some 1/8" masonite to the bottom and back side plus I added a handle to the end to facilitate picking it up. Two handles are always better than one. I carry the legs and pedal board in a separate case. The best I've found is a soft Fender 3/4-size guitar case which fits perfectly. I also have a nylon tripod case that works.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 7:29 am    

Here's the link to this Fender case:

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/18269032288152117568_737701179157946981_12145?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt,eid-4160052&gtim=COyWppi9y7rGIhCK3fvky66f4l0Y8LimDiIDVVNEKJDxzt4FMPFe&utm_campaign=12145&gclid=CjwKCAjwpKveBRAwEiwAo4Pqm_gnww55nn63a9oLSZIyJwMlrNBv4goHEvzIKLrS6HzLXJ06cpxjcBoCUV8QAvD_BwE

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 9:14 am    

Russ Pahl had a carrying bag, kinda on the line of this, at the TSGA Show in the Show Pro room this year. He was able to carry in/out his pedal steel completely assembled, minus the rear legs, if I’m recalling that right? I didn’t get a picture...perhaps someone else could verify remembering his bag?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 10:55 am     Pedal steel tote.

I have a near 1 inch thick lined cover. Nauga-Hyde outside, Lined with satin and covers the whole guitar body, Has 3 Velcro straps that go under the body and secure it. After 2 guitars in 17 years no problem. I built it to leave a heavy MSA case at home when gigging. Will put a picture on soon.

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 12:58 pm    

I have seen all those threads and that's not what this is. I never want to rely on a soft case for protection. Think of it as a grocery bag. You would never carry all your groceries into the house in one bag. I move my guitar at least once a week. Put the cover on, invert the guitar into the case, remove legs, rods and pedal rack. Carry the guitar in the tote to the car and the case, legs, etc separately. Put the guitar in the case. When I get to the gig I take the guitar/tote out and carry it in. Come back for the case. Yes it's a lot of steps but after 50 years of full time manual labor this is a back saver. All of the gigs I have played in the last decade required more than one trip anyway.