The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Standard or lowboy?
Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 6:36 pm    

Just curious as to how many players prefer low or standard vol. pedal. Sorry if this topic has been beat to death.

Currently I use a Lehle which is not really designed for steel. It's all I have experience with.

I'm hoping the Army will order me a Telonics and if so I'll have to choose soon. I'll have to perform in combat boots (fairly thick sole) and I'm of average size (5 foot 9 inches).

Wondering what the consensus is as I'm inexperienced. The range of throw would be the same regardless, correct?

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 8:33 pm    

I'm 5'11" and of average leg/torso proportion. My preference is the lowest height volume pedal I can find. For years it was the standard stamped metal Fender volume pedal w/the yo-yo string and pulley inside. Then I had a Dekeley low profile that was even a bit lower.Nowadays I have a couple buffered Goodrich low boys. The reason is simple. It puts your right knee lower so it doesn't drag on the undercarraige at worst and ideally hits the RKR and RKL knee levers at their midpoint or lower so you can enough get mechanical advantage to make them easier to engage and more like the way your left leg contacts knee levers. This all depends on your physical proportions of course. I could imagine a young kid or anyone with a short stature perhaps needing to get their right leg up a little further off the floor for the same reason.

At 5'9" in boots I'd go with a lowboy. OH yeah and good luck ankle rocking on and off your pedals with combat boots on.

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 11:46 pm    

I've had the Dekley Low Boy (VERY cool looking, and very low profile) and a LP passive Goodrich. Turns out I prefer higher profile pedals. Ernie Balls are what I use now (I prefer the forward pivot) and I have a standard height Goodrich also. I simply prefer the wider (or more tweakable) sweep on taller pedals
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 6:06 am    

I can tell you that in all the new volume pedals that I have sold (Telonics and Goodrich), that about 9 out of 10 are the standard height. Very few lowboys.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 7:05 am    

I have a standard Goodrich (passive), and it works great, but I have always thought that my next VP will be a lowboy. I'm 6'0, and I can't play while wearing any kind of boots with heels on them, so I'm stuck playing in tennis shoes. I think that with a lower VP I could probably manage to play with boots. Either that, or a lift kit... or just being content in shoes.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 7:29 am    

I prefer the lowboy. Very Happy
Erv

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 7:45 pm    

Assuming everything else is the same, doesn't the lower profile pedal transect a smaller arc from Off to 100% On?

I'm using a Hilton standard profile pedal. I compared Standard and Low Profile dimensions. Difference is fractions of an inch, and not many of those.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 4:58 am    

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 1:44 pm     Lowboy or standerd

I have 1 standard and 2 lowboys the standard is for backup I am in process of buying another lowboy for backup love my lowboy

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 8:13 pm    

[quote="Dan Robinson"]Assuming everything else is the same, doesn't the lower profile pedal transect a smaller arc from Off to 100% On?

That's what I'm wondering, if the arc is the same.

And regarding the combat boots, surprisingly it feels good. And I can loosen the laces all I want (it aint marching)!

Thanks all,

Jon

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 8:04 am    

Dan Robinson wrote:
Assuming everything else is the same, doesn't the lower profile pedal transect a smaller arc from Off to 100% On?

Not enough to worry about. But even if it did, it wouldn't make any difference, because your mind and body quickly adapt to such differences.