The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Serial #?
Kris Taylor

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2006 3:29 pm    

I was wondering if anyone out there has ever heard of an MSA serial number like 200111? Usually they have a letter in them. Possibly the first zero is the letter "O". Can anyone tell me more about this guitar. It looks older than most I've seen. Thanks.

Kris

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2006 6:14 pm    

Kris, it may be one of the old "pre-Micro" guitars made in the '60s. Double check the serial number (most of the ones I've seen only had only 4 or 5 digits). The nameplate also will lack the "MICRO" designation if it's an early (pre '72) model guitar.

"Pre-Micro" MSA guitars didn't have anywhere near the quality of the later "Micro" models.

Kris Taylor

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2006 6:16 pm    

YES, IT DOESN'T HAVE THE MICRO LOGO ON THE FRONT LIKE MOST I'VE SEEN. IT'S A CURSIVE TYPE SET. AND THAT IS THE SERIAL NUMBER FOR SURE.

Kris Taylor

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2006 6:44 am    

It seems that I will have to contact Reece about the age this guitar. My fear is, with it being so old, he might not be much help either.

I bought this guitar as something to start out on, and it seems that I've gotten myself into a possible maintenance nightmare. It was just such a good deal and seemed so much more solid with possibilties beyond the Carter Starter or something similar.

You hear so many opinions of MSA guitars out there, how well they are built always seems to be a positive. Had a friend recommend it to me, the majority of the forum talks positively about MSA. Now I hear there is a difference between MSA Micro and Pre-Micro MSA? Try searching the forum for that. This idea hasn't been touched on much.

I will contact Reece, but if anyone has ever owned one of these pre-micro guitars, please tell me what your thoughts were on the guitar. I would like to know what I am getting into.

Kris

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2006 2:28 pm    

Kris T....200111 shows to be a double 10 which left the factory with 8 pedals and 2 knee levers. The original owner was Earl Pedersen. Your guitar will be 36 years old this coming March 30th. (born 3-30-70)

Without question you have a pre-production MSA which indicates it has what may be referred too as a "fixed setup", and would therefore not configure to the pulls commonly used today.

If I can help you further please let me know.