The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  please close this
Tom Wilson

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 8:58 am    

I recently purchased a 79 MSA Classic XL from a forum member. He was taller than I am and had longer rods and spacers in the legs. After we talked he sent me the rods he used on the steel and a set of shorter rods he said were the originals. I set it up with the longer rods to make sure everything worked right and it appeared to me everything was good. I decided to change the rods to the shorter ones to fit me better. The rod connector nipples are on the top hole. Until I read here and looked at the owner's manual I didn't think it made any difference. I ordered a new set of connectors with the nipples as an upgrade. Should I put the nipples in the lower hole or the upper and what else should I do to keep from damaging anything? I have been playing the guitar and it holds tune for the pedals (haven't used the levers much). This the second steel I have had. The first was an MSA Sidekick so my knowledge of the workings is limited. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Tom Wilson on 29 Oct 2018 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 2:16 pm    

I've got one of these guitars.... but I don't understand your question. Can you mark up a diagram?

-Jon

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 3:02 pm    

The lower holes in the pedals are the ones that are normally used. The other ball-stud holes (the ones that are higher, and closer to the pedal-bar) are there to offer an altered attachment point which changes the throw and effort required to push the pedals. They are not there for rod length or guitar height changes. The spring collars on the rods have a lot of adjustment capability, and they should be adjusted to make the pedals their proper height.

(The higher holes are there to allow you to pull more strings with less effort, and they will make the pedals easier, but have a lot of travel. Normally, they're used when you're pulling 4 or 5 strings with the same pedal.)

Tom Wilson

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 3:37 pm    

After looking at the guitar when I got home today I was totally wrong about where the pedal nipples were connected. They are correct and nothing is wrong. I’m sorry for posting this. Please close this. I do thank those who tried to help this idiot. Sorry

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 4:49 pm    

Don't be so hard on yourself Tom. There's not one among us who hasn't erred in one area or another. Classic XL MSA's are great guitars. Enjoy it and Happy Pickin'!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 5:19 pm    

Tom, we're all constantly learning, and no one knows about everything. Don't be too hard on yourself! Very Happy