The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where I'm at these days
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 7:19 pm    

Last 18 months have been a challenge. It has made me a bit crazed. Losing ones mobility and connection to the outside world starts wearing you down. During this time I've explored a lot, but I kept coming back to the 10 string eharp.

I feel like finally I found exactly what I want to do: figure this damn eharp out, because no other instrument or tuning gives me the pure joy I get when I play it. And now I've added a Kemper Profiler and an Atomic CLR NEOII monitor and I've found some sounds I like and I'm just luxuriating in the sound.

My performance days are probably close to over, certainly for the foreseeable future. Which is fine because the thing I want to do is to just improvise over jazz standards. and hopefully record it and share it.

As much as I love all the lapsteel music, I don't want to play hawaiian, or western swing, or bluegrass, or country, or rock, or blues. Although I might play any of those, but in my way. Filtered through me.

I just want to play jazz on the eharp. maybe do some composing. one neck, one tuning, one instrument.

The goal is to find myself and my voice within the confines of these 10 strings. It may take years to get there. But I've never had more fun just playing.

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 8:18 pm    

Having a goal and a challenge is a beautiful thing! Enjoy the journey!

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 1:50 am    

Bill, I play guitar, pedal steel, lap steel and dobro and I love a lot of different styles of music. I find that I tend to work on whatever seems to inspire me the most at any given time. Its great that the Eharp has given you so much enthusiasm and inspiration. Music is a wonderful journey and I'll be looking forward to hearing about your progress. Best wishes in your musical endeavors! Smile

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 12:09 pm    

Great attitude, Bill. I don’t mind doing the service gigs; people seem to enjoy the crap they want to hear and that’s okay with me. But I enjoy growth as a player too and have my own pursuit toward musical gratification, and whether fans want to hear it or not is not that important to me anymore. I understand what you are saying 100%. And I hope your physical failings don’t impede you too badly moving toward your goal.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 3:00 pm    

You go, Bill!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2018 5:17 am    

Thanks all

Forumite Graham Griffith just posted a nice intro to Eharp tuning on my Eharp Players Facebook Group: Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13KDBYMOo7A&feature=share

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2018 5:50 am    

It can be really hard to find that musical niche and often, it's a moving target over the years for many of us. Kudos to you to find your niche and dig in, Bill. Enjoy the journey!

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2018 12:02 pm    

Glad to hear that something positive is coming our of all that you have been through...and thank you for helping me along my journey to tricone happiness...I guess we all really do have that sound we hear in our head, that the lucky ones of us figure out and find the key to making...