The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Steelaire
John N Norris

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 12:59 pm    

Back in May of this year, I had been doing a lot of research on a nice Amp. For my Steel Guitar. I am fairly new to the Steel ( one year ). After much searching, I decided to pull the trigger on a new Quilter Steelaire SA Combo-115
Love the sound from this thing, until I turned it on yesterday. The power light came on, but NO sound. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper.
Steelaire is located in California, I am located in Georgia. I’m thinking probably $150-$200
Round trip for shipping.
I called and explained the problem. The gentleman said it must have been one of the earlier amps. They had, had problems with a switch in some of their earlier amps.
NOW GET THIS, The gentleman said, I will just send you a new Amp., and a return shipping label, so it won’t cost you anything. He said, when the new one comes just remove it, put the old one in the box, put the shipping label on it, and send it back.
My reply, Sir, you just made my day.
I could not be any more satisfied. I could not have asked for any better service.

John

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 1:20 pm    

I recently had the same problem crop up with mine. Quilter is about 50 miles from my house so I was able to take it to their shop and they fixed it @ N/C and I was back on the road home in about 45 min's.
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 1:49 pm    

Their customer service reputation is huge. One gets the impression that they just hate the idea that there is a bad Quilter out there and they just want to get it off of the road. I couldn't be happier with my MicroPro Mach 2 high power combo and it's gravy knowing that Pat Quilter is standing tall behind it.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 3:22 pm    

The exact same happened to me. Bad channel switch. I wasn’t even the original owner, and had no idea if I’d be covered. They didn’t ask. Got a call from Pat Quilter. Done deal. Great response, and great service.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 4:13 pm    

I cant say enough good things about Quilter and the people behind it! I found a good speaker combo for my rack mount unit and it is the best amp Ive owned! I havent had the switch problem. My switch is working perfectly so far.

Last edited by Quentin Hickey on 10 Oct 2018 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 4:16 pm     Quilter Steelaire

Had the same switch problem with my rack mount. Same story, they paid the shipping both ways and put in one of the newer switches the same day they received it. I think they shipped it back the same day, but it could have been the next. Either way, as fast as was possible.

They did not make the switch and had no crystal ball to forsee the future problem, so it wasn't their fault.
Pat showed what he is made of taking care of the problem the way he has. I can't express how much I respect him.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 2:36 am    

My Steelaire, so far, is OK. If the power switch goes bad I'll probably just replace it myself being I'm a tech. No need to ship it back to California from Florida and be gone for two weeks.

I have another Quilter, a 101R amp. It died after using it three times. It was shipped back and it took a little over two weeks because of shipping. The problem was the internal fuse was loose in the fuse holder and the fuse holder was replaced. Just like the power switch on the Steelaire, that's poor QC to have something like that go wrong. Many companies have their own QC that they do on parts before they are accepted and used in production. On the surface it doesn't look like Quilter does that. I like my Steelaire amp but QC seems questionable.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 4:43 am    

I'll bet that gentleman was Pat Quilter. Every time I've contacted them by phone or email he's the one at the other end. Pretty cool when the owner (and legendary figure in amplification) is so hands on.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 7:52 am    

I hate to hear that about the new Amp but the ending is a good one. I've had mine for three years and love it but I love it even more since getting my New MSA. The guitar and 705 just work with that amp.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 6:43 am    

I own a MicroPro Mach 2, and I just love it. Quilter makes excellent products, and has always been responsive, articulate and helpful each time I have co tatted them...,

Thinking about picking up one of the “block” heads for my new psg....

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 11:17 am    

I see that many, if not all, amps are now being made "overseas" instead of USA.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 2:57 am    

Ouch that hurts. I wasn't aware they shifted production to overseas. I just ordered a Micropro Mach 2 thinking it was US made. What is wrong with our manufacturers? Build a reputation then sub out the production for financial reasons. I could have bought lots of amps cheap from China. Time will tell if it is worth the investment.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 5:21 am    

I don't know the specifics, but there are comments on the Quilter Facebook page about new ones made in China.

Considering most if not all the electronic components are made somewhere other than the USA it may not really be a big issue, other than its not "Made in USA".

That said, I don't see any loss of enthusiasm for Quilter products on Facebook.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 4:50 pm    

Jack, thanks for the reassurance on Quilter. I knew most all electronic parts were made overseas. Maybe the qc is an issue. It's so hard to get a quality product today. So far the reviews on quilter remain real good. Hope it continues.

Dan Klotz

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 9:30 pm    

Same thing happened to me. I emailed them and Pat Quilter responded with the hour. They sent me the return info, fixed my amp the day they received it and got it back to me. Excellent customer service!

David Biggers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2018 3:52 pm    

I Have the exact same problem with my SteelAire.
Cutting in and out.
I have tried calling today and emailing Quilter 4 hours ago
but have not received
any
response as of yet.
Maybe they are busy.
The bad thing is my Old worn out NV400 went out the following night with an unrelated issue.
Kinda looking like I’m Going to have to buy another amp I guess.
I have a show Saturday and no amp to use.
This really sucks.