The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Missing Red Kilby, the Steeler's Friend
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 4:35 pm    

Our dear friend, Red Kilby left us seven years ago today, 10/09. To this day, I still miss him. He was a good and true friend. I know there are many on this forum who feel the same way. Sure is hard to realize it's been seven years now since he passed..!!

I miss talking steel guitar, music, the road, recording and the trains with him. What an awesome friend. He left way too soon.

I didn't want to let the day go by without mentioning and remembering Red. He's been at home with The Lord now.

May God bless his family, all his friends and keep Red in his embrace.

Sincerely,

Chris "Tiny" Olson

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 10:15 am    

Nice remembrance Tiny Crying or Very sad

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 10:24 am    

Thanks so much for your post, Tiny. Really hard to believe that it is already that long since Red's passing. He was a real close friend of mine and I am proud to have known him.

Here's a typical Red story: When he had the first mixes of his album "Keeping It Real" (a must have, by the way, featuring Lloyd Green, Ralph Mooney, Dickie Overbey and Jerry Brightman!), he had to share with somebody. So my phone rang and I had a very excited Red on the line: "Hey Walter, you have to listen to this!!!!" and he started playing one track. The only problem, he totally forgot about the time difference and called me at 3 am in the morning my time!

I am sure he is singing now in a different place with all the great steel players backing him up.

Love and miss ya, pal!

Kind Regards, Walter

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 11:58 am    

Red is definitely missed from the steel scene. I hope his wife, Linda, is doing well these days.

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 8:27 pm    

Here's a followup to Walter's post about Red. As you can see, Walter is "backing up" Red on steel while Red puts forth his usual great vocals. This was a few years ago!

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 2:10 am    

It doesn't seem like its been 7 years! Red really knew a lot about the pedal steel guitar and C&W music history. I really enjoyed talking music with him and hearing him sing. Thanks for posting this, his memory lives on.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 9:36 am    

Red was a great guy, and loved his steel guitar family! We talked to Linda a couple of years after he died, and she chuckled about being with him every day, as he was on her mantle. She said she was healing, but she missed him terribly.

Red had a BIG presence when he was in a room!
I recall being at the Dallas Show, and Tommy doing the last song of his set. It was Dance With Me. Red grabbed me out of my chair to Disco Dance with him up front where Tommy could see and get a kick out of it. While we were dancing, Red's phone rang. He suddenly stopped in his tracks to answer. It was Linda looking for him. She was in the back and couldn't see him. I heard him say, "yes, I'm in the main ballroom dancing with Donna in front of the stage where Tommy is playing. I'll be back at the table in a few minutes." At that time, he put it in high gear flipping me around so much that I thought I was going to pass out. He did a final dip, asked if I was ok, and planted a sweet big brother hug on me. He made everyone feel special! What a kind and caring man he was!!!
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 9:45 am    

Here's my favorite Red and Linda story:

One day, Red, Linda and I went out to a local cafe for lunch during a break in the convention. After our meal, Linda wanted to go get their car, so she asked Red for the keys. Red's hands were full for some reason, so he told her that the keys were in his front pants pocket. Linda stuck her hand deep into his pants pocket and probably spent about 15 seconds rummaging around his front pocket without finding any keys.

After a sufficiently pregnant pause, I offered to her, "Well, I've got keys..."

All three of us just fell on the floor laughing and that became our standing joke ("I've got keys!") for the next few years... I'm sure Linda would crack up hearing that story again, even after 7 years.

Miss them both.

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 11 Oct 2018 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 6:53 pm    

That's a GREAT one, Jim!!! Very Happy
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 7:11 pm    

Just had a very nice phone chat with Linda this evening. She sends everyone in steelguitarland her regards and hopes to make it to the Denver show one of these years to visit with folks.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 10:35 pm    

I happened to be in Pueblo the day he passed..I picked up a Red Mullen to overhaul that day...and it bears his name now in the undercarriage..We miss you old friend...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 10:36 pm    

I happened to be in Pueblo the day he passed..I picked up a Red Mullen to overhaul that day...and it bears his name now in the undercarriage..We miss you old friend...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2018 7:19 pm    

Last time I saw Red he was sitting in a purple Dodge Challenger in Dallas. Sweet ride, sweet guy.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 4:34 pm    

Red was a great asset to The Rick Alexander Non Pedal Room in Dallas.....Red & Rick got to be good friends and after Rick's untimely passing, Red always honored his memory by bringing a variety of steel players, other musicians, and vocalists to appear with him in his sets....he was really a kind, wonderful and personable man....