The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Yardbird Suite on unusual 8-string Emmons lap steel
Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 11:19 am    

Hi all - Some of you may have seen an earlier post of mine on a red lacquer Emmons 8-string lap steel I acquired in August with a crazy, elongated headstock and some other unusual features.

I have more extensive E9th pedal steel experience, but limited time on the C6th and I've never had a lap steel. Thanks to Forumites who weighed in on my question about tunings to get some decent jazz changes. I decided to start with a traditional high C6th tuning (A-C-E-G-A-C-E-G, low to high).

I've been working it out with some 12-bar swing and some Rhythm changes songs. Here's my attempt with a down-tempo version of "Yardbird Suite" - head sandwiched around a few improv choruses -- mostly single string runs - some 2-3 note chords and finding a few cool grabs. Hope you like it!

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13791807

I'm using a backing track at recorded at about 75% normal tempo that I downloaded from Youtube. No volume pedal on this on this but a bit of compression on the recording for sustain.

One more thing: the owner of the Youtube track gave me permission to use it in my posted track only asking that I post a link to his backing track video -- so here it is: (nice guitar comping!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_bKxhD8YC0

- Nelson

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 5:17 pm    

Nice work, Nelson. Charlie Parker is is a bit daunting to me. But thanks for the link. The home site has some very handy material, and of course, it translates from French with one click.

Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 6:11 pm    

Thanks for listening, David. Yes, the backing tracks are really helpful for working out solos and arrangements. And the owner, Martin, seems like a really good guy - he's just devoted to educating players.

Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 8:34 am    

On follow up, David, yes Charlie Parker and other players in the be-bop and post-bop era can be challenging - but it's fun and rewarding to see how the chords lay out across the strings: you can think a little like a sax player who plays through the chords as arpeggios and scale runs.

Mike Neer is one of the few non-pedal players who are prominent in focusing on this period - he's following up his Monk DC, "Steeloneous" with a new project on Horace Silver - and he just posted a terrific demo of silver's "Juicy Lucy" on this forum - check it out!