The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why a D10?
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2018 1:22 am    

I just received my first (serious) steel in June. Unlike a lot of fellows here, at 57, I don't have 30 or 40 yrs to work on my playing. I knew I wanted to learn to play what I'd heard the greats play - and all of them were playing D10. I knew I loved the E9 sound, as well as the C6 sound, so I would need to have both of them - although, it's looking like it may be a year or two before I get to the C6 neck haha.

Also, I'm not made of $$, so I wanted to buy once and be done, and have the best thing I could get with a one time investment.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2018 5:38 pm     D10

I absolutely love C6 chords. I tune down to B6 actually. But practicality won the day. I just take around a little GS10 push pull now. Still have the D10, but until I get a gig that is good enough for that rig, it’s staying in the house. Was in a band in Tampa that I really got to use it a lot. But local lap steel gig that payed took over. C6 is very important to me, I have big respect for it. I just am older now and lifting the D10 is just too much for every week rehearsals and gigs. I just whip around with the little push pull and don’t even break it down. It’s a joy. I do miss those big chords though.

Webb Kline

Bloomsburg, PA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 8:27 am    

I started on E9 back in 79. For all the swing I did back then, I could manage with the E9.

But I loved swing, and eventually bought a D10. Then I started playing in a swing band, playing piano and steel, so I bought 2 8 strings nonpedalers, tuned them to C6 and E13 and put them on a rack on top of my piano. I got to going back and forth between them, often in the same songs.

I bought a new D10 a while ago and have decided that I am going to devote all of my music time to learning everything that I haven't learned so far about E9 and C6. Having that period of 10 years without a pedal guitar, forced me to really understand the chord and scale theory without pedals, as well as developing a very good understanding of what the pedals do, so that I could compensate for them on the nonpedlers.

This has proven beneficial, I believe, because my playing of both necks has improved exponentially since I got this guitar because I understand exactly what the copedents do from a theory standpoint so much better than I did when I was playing pedals before.

I see these as two entirely different instruments, and I love both of them. Yet, I now understand how well they can correlate to one another in a way I never did before, and I am finding ways to interact them on the same material like I have done with the nonpedlers.

I'm eating up Paul's course like a bowl of really good mac and cheese, and casting out old bad habit demons, and applying new ideas, and I can't begin to imagine ever finding the end of these two necks.

That's not to say that I won't try a U12 someday, or that there is anything wrong with it, but at this point, it almost seems like committing adultery, because I love E9 and C6 that much, especially since I've been away from them for such an extended period. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, they say. Smile