The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Want a Tele and a Melobar?
Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 2:25 pm    

Meet the Telobar.
Never saw one before.
I found it while perusing for my next fixer upper project.
The $3600 price tag, and this one is used, made my heart
skip a beat but that's the cost of being retired I guess.

Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 3:00 pm    

Considering that a Stevens Guit-steel retails for $14,500, this seems like a bargain...

Last edited by John Rosett on 7 Oct 2018 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 4:46 pm    

John Rosett wrote:
Considering that a Stevens Guit-steel retail for $14,500, this seems like a bargain...

My last guitar cost me $250.
My truck isn't even worth $14,500.... Sad
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 5:19 am    

Hi Larry, I posted it on Reverb.com, tag may seem high but it is a VERY unique cool one, keep in mind I've offered DIY kit versions of the Melobar Telobar on the Steel Forum for $395 and on the melobarted.blogspot so I try to keep them affordable for us all.
Also you can send in the upper donor guitar because that has a lot to do with how much it starts off price wise.
It's a fun guitar to play, hopefully at least half of the barn find Melobar necks end up as Telobars Smile

Aaron Jennings

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 9:31 am    

I built one of these with the help of Ted Smith, and Ryan Rukavina. Mine is a 10-string steel on the bottom. I used an old single coil for the steel pickup.

I played it in a friends band while it lasted - and it is a blast to use. Yes, it can feel a little heavy but I am sure mine came in around 12 pounds.

The Melobar neck is made out of Poplar I am thinking, and is extremely light and resonant. My 'Telobar' is currently awaiting 'Phase 2' where I replace the Spanish guitar parts with something better than the donor Squier I started with. I am also going to remove two strings from the Steel neck and take it down to 8 for easier playing on dark stages (10 is pushing it and the outside strings are just barely over the neck).

Long story short, building this took a lot of time and effort on the parts of multiple people - but it is worth it to have a unique

Here's a couple pictures of the build in progress from a few years ago. This was my first project of this nature, and there are a lot of amazing builders here, so go easy on me:

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 6:08 pm    

This is mine - complete with Hipshot. You can see a Stevens steel sticking out between the necks - there's a storage hole for it.

I call mine a "Melocaster". To me they are much more practical than the Jr Brown style instrument - the slanted Melobar neck is far easier to play, and the two necks positioned at a "V" angle make overall access much more practical. The balance is also very even.

Was $3600 an actual *purchase* price? I hope note - while they don't come up for sale that often prices have been nowhere near that level.

Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 1:46 am    

Why go easy on you??? You did a beautiful job......Congrats on a great looking instrument.

Here's a couple pictures of the build in progress from a few years ago. This was my first project of this nature, and there are a lot of amazing builders here, so go easy on me:

[/quote]

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 8:10 am    

Why does this thread remind me of:

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 12:16 pm    

The Junior Brown type guitar was mentioned in a few posts.

As I said, having played both I find the Melobar design to be far easier to play on either neck.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 2:48 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
The Junior Brown type guitar was mentioned in a few posts.

As I said, having played both I find the Melobar design to be far easier to play on either neck.

As a person that has played lap steel and guitar at the same time (via A/B pedal) but with them as separate instruments, having them in one unit seems awkward. Am I missing something?

Sorry I missed the "Jr Brown" reference.

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 5:52 pm    

well there's a way to fix that David Smile we need to get you behind one and give it a rip!
Are you in northern or southern CA?

I did do a poor job of trying to demo a "behind the guitar video" not very good but here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EHPM7BWOmg

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 7:17 am    

Ted Smith wrote:
well there's a way to fix that David Smile we need to get you behind one and give it a rip!
Are you in northern or southern CA?

I did do a poor job of trying to demo a "behind the guitar video" not very good but here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EHPM7BWOmg

Norcal.

I'd give it a try...as long as it's on a stand!

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 8:06 am    

I think we can make that work one of these days, my brother is getting along and I try to see him every few months south of SF so let's see if we can connect.

I've used one on a stand (simply a music stand with one bolt in the back) and was really surprised that is was pretty steady and of course easy to just walk up to, but on stage it just is easier to move around when I want. I had everything I was going to play in my hands so I didn't need to set something down and move to something else. But a stand is easy because it is balanced from end to end already.

photo's not great but you can kind of make out that the guitar rests on the bottom of the sheet music platform, then I bent down the left side to access the necks, after that it was just a single bolt in the back, simple but rock steady and very little change to the guitar in general.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 12:10 pm    

Quote:
As a person that has played lap steel and guitar at the same time (via A/B pedal) but with them as separate instruments, having them in one unit seems awkward. Am I missing something?

As far as the Jr Brown one - no, you're not missing anything at all IMO. It's heavy and awkward as hell to play.

The "Telesteel", Melocaster" or whatever you want to call the Melobar version, though, plays very easily on both necks. It IS a bit heavy at 11 pounds (at least that's what mine weighs) but it's not awkward at all.

The slanted lap steel neck works very well, and there's plenty of room between the two necks - the angle is especially helpful.

The Tele plays like a Tele. No issues. On mine, the Hipshot really makes it versatile.

The only practical use is on stage. Makes no sense to play at home for fun when playing separate instruments is so much easier. But it works well on stage, especially if you don't have room for a lap steel setup. And oh, man does it get attention!

The bummer for me is I can't gig any longer due to physical issues, so it's just sitting. So I'll be selling it as soon as I get around to it (I changed Tele pickups and need to finish a little wiring). No, I will NOT be asking $3600! Laughing

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 7:50 am    

Thanks for the reply.

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 8:17 am    

thought it might be interesting to see a shot of a Telobar actually on a person Smile

Randy Patton with his new one
and a shot playing it on stage
https://www.facebook.com/rpfarrier/videos/pcb.10212989321544775/10212989307544425/?type=3&theater[/img]