The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 6:31 pm    

Played an outdoor show today under a tent with no sides. I was using my latest rig and my sound was incredible. My rig consisted of my 1982 Zum D-10 > George L cords > Lehle 90 volume pedal > Wet Reverb pedal > Evans pre-amp > Stewart 1.2 power amp > cabinet with TT-12 speaker.

I will probably never get this sound again, but it was heavenly while it lasted.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 10:13 pm    

Congrats on total satisfaction with your entire sound! Let's face it: that's all any of us want and why we contribute and read these posts.
Good work!

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 11:16 pm    

Sounds like you're happy. I think that's great george. Out of curiosity, how many years would you guess it took you? And how did you come to this final conclusion? Just curious is all. Keep picking.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 5:48 am    

Can you please tell us about your speaker cabinet ?

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 5:53 am    

George, isn't nice when a perfect gig comes along where everything feels and sounds to your liking?

Ron

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 11:00 am    

Yes sir Ron it sure is. And i'm glad you came across the right combination that works out for you, it makes playing so much more enjoyable. Best of luck in the future.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 7:54 am     Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.

George, ever since going to a rack system about 3 years ago, I have been experimenting quite a bit. It makes it simpler for this not having to deal with the problems and expense of shipping combo amps.

Besides the Evans pre-amp, I think the Lehle 90 volume pedal went a long ways towards giving me the sound I had Saturday. This was the first gig using them both.

You asked about my cabinet. It was one that I built. Photo attached.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 8:12 am    

First of all, congratulations. There is no better feeling than being satisfied with your sound, and being able to play expressively.

Did you have the cabinet sitting flat on the floor, or tilted back on a stand? Was it aimed straight at you? Hollow stage or concrete pad?

How far away from the speaker were you? Was it mic’d and in the monitors?

How many players are in your band, and how did they sound? (sometimes when I think I have had a great gig, others have felt their own playing sucked, and vice-versa)

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 8:13 am    

I know, I’m a one-man senate committee hearing...

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 8:50 am     Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.

Fred, I was using an amp stand that puts the cabinet about a foot off the floor and tilts it back. It was sitting about four feet behind me on my right side turned slightly to the left towards my right ear. The stage was constructed like a deck with pressure treated lumber and a 3/4" plywood floor. Nothing was mic'd or sent through the monitors.It is a 5 piece band, but nobody else in the band said anything about their sound or sadly, mine either. Here I am, getting a sound that sounds like it's coming from heaven, and nobody notices. It doesn't matter, I knew the difference and as a result, I played better. My girlfriend did notice that I played especially good, but she had no idea why.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 8:53 am    

Thank you, George.

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 9:42 am    

Do you have a pic of the back of your (nice looking) cabinet? I'd like to see how open it is. Thanks

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 10:29 am     Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.

Glenn, here you go. The cabinet is all clear white pine plywood. 3 /4" for the sides and 1/2" front and back. Finish is sprayed on truck bed liner.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 11:57 am     Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.

Please delete.

Last edited by George Kimery on 8 Oct 2018 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 11:57 am    

Thank you!!
I have been struggling forever with my bass player bias toward closed back cabinets. I also like the thought that their sound is unaffected by stuff behind them. This week I spent a lot of of time with my oscilloscope, ears, NV400 and a lots of cabs from the speaker graveyard in my garage. The open backs sound better, dammit. I play at a BBQ joint in Chicago, and the stage is tiny, so I have been using a TT12 in a small "kicker" box, a slanted-front closed back particle board cabinet. I want to try it in an open back and see how it does.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 1:40 pm    

To me, open back cabs sound best in an enclosed area, or at least with a wall behind them to reflect the sound. On a large stage or outside with no back drop, they lose a lot of the fullness that reflectivity provides. That is where closed back cabs will outshine them, imho.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 2:56 pm     Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.

Fred, good thing I didn't have a closed back cabinet that would have sounded better. I wouldn't have been able to stand it.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 3:16 pm    

LOL
You did have the overhead canopy, so that gave you some reflectivity. Who knows? I’ve had some great gigs outdoors with my open back Boogie, and some darn crappy ones with a closed Carvin. Generally speaking, I have always thought the sound design theory indicates the opposite is the rule. So many different variables can determine sound, even with the same equipment. That’s why I asked you all those questions - not one of them having to do with your specific preamp tone settings or volume level. You just got a magic combination and reaped the rewards.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 6:14 pm     Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.

I wonder how a cabinet with say, a 4" to 6" hole in the
center on the back would sound. Or maybe 4 holes about 2.5" in each corner? That might give you the best of both worlds.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 6:31 pm    

George, I am so happy for you. I hope we all get the opportunity to experience that same joy. I haven't found mine yet but I have come close. I have enjoyed the search and maybe that is part of fun. Keep pickin George and enjoy yourself.

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 8:08 pm    

I'm going to start a new thread "anybody try detuned cabinets?"

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 8:32 pm    

Glenn, I’m sure there is a cabinet out there that is just perfect for drop-D tuning...

All seriousness aside, a thread on cabinets with tuned ports would indeed be interesting to me, since I’ve never had one but always wondered.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 3:31 am    

Sorry, duplicate.

Last edited by Larry Dering on 12 Oct 2018 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 8:14 pm    

how about the Lehle volume pedal, might that be the key to the good sound too?

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 3:40 am     Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.

I think the Lehle is the key. If there is a perfect pedal, it is the Lehle. It's the best kept secret in the steel guitar world. Once you use one, you can't go back.