Author Topic:  I Fall to Pieces with Metronome
Sharon Frances

Elk Horn, KY 42733
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2018 5:19 pm    

https://youtu.be/v-cWrMsSMZs?list=PLCz1JEUkwBDsG-03Zqj9D6h7Ga4hQb5oV

Roy Heap

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 12:42 am    

Excellent Sharon, now we are cooking on gas. That's the way to go .Nice tempo.

Sharon Frances

Elk Horn, KY 42733
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 3:36 am    

Roy Heap wrote:
Excellent Sharon, now we are cooking on gas. That's the way to go .Nice tempo.

Thank you Roy Very Happy

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 5:25 am    

This young lady is getting better and better. Bar movement is much better and she is more accurate. Can I suggest something? How about a little reverb on the amp to sweeten the sound? In a year from now go back and watch these videos and see how much improvement she has made. I promise you that you will be very happy with the outcome.

Sharon Frances

Elk Horn, KY 42733
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 5:29 am    

Paul King wrote:
This young lady is getting better and better. Bar movement is much better and she is more accurate. Can I suggest something? How about a little reverb on the amp to sweeten the sound? In a year from now go back and watch these videos and see how much improvement she has made. I promise you that you will be very happy with the outcome.

Thanks Paul, I will tell her Dad. Appreciate your suggestion and comment ^_^

Gary Sill

Mt. Zion, IL, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 9:36 am     Great rhythm and timing on the notes.

Nice steel also.

Keep up the good practicing.

www.sillmusicsupply.com

A beautiful Laquer Mullen G2, 2 Nashville 112's, Evans 10" R150 Amp,1982 Emmons Push Pull D-10, Hilton Pedals, 12/8 MSA Superslide, Green LDG Sho-Bud-Owned by Lloyd, S-6 Fender 1956 Lap. , Gretsch Country Gentleman, red Gibson 2019, ES 335, Quilter, Gretsch Resonator, Eastman Mandolin

Sharon Frances

Elk Horn, KY 42733
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 1:55 pm    

Thank you

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 3:05 pm    

Sharon,use finger and thumb picks !

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 8:09 am    

Very nice Sharon... best Bar control and positions I’ve seen you use, MUCH BETTER... liked it a lot... You’re really coming along, and your right hand “shape” looks very good... when you get comfortable with picks your playing will accelerate even more... WAY TO GO!!! and KEEP IT UP!!!
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 7:39 am    

Now that’s starting to look good. Really can’t tell in the video but looks like you’ve got that volume pedal in there where it’s supposed to be too. Yes mam, now you’re making some nice progress. All these changes will pay off in the long run. Keep at it.

Franklin

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 9:15 am    

Dale and John,

Sharon is doing fantastic! She is just a few weeks into the course and already I have seen her go miles beyond where she was. She is a natural musician. She even created some licks on the facebook quiz along with the more seasoned players from last week...She is a gifted sponge. I am so glad to see others are noticing her progress.

The myth that steelers "have" to play with picks is getting debunked as time goes by because its not true..... Nothing is holding her right hand back. Sharon can change to picks whenever she wants...Buddy, Myself, and many others played without picks when we were kids for the exact reason she started without them......Picks were too big for tiny fingers.

Buddy and I talked about the pros and cons of wearing picks and neither of us had problems getting fast or pretty tone with bare fingers. In todays world, I still choose many times to record without picks in the studio... She can also opt for using fingernails over picks like the Brent Mason's do on guitar.....At the end of the day we play a guitar string with a slide. I believe whatever works for guitarists will also work and can be applied to steel.

Adding reverb? Well just a little is OK. But Grace I would rather her not add any now, so she can focus on the right hand technique towards cleanliness. Reverb does sound better but it covers up imperfections in technique......Listen to Buddy Emmons "Danny Boy" no reverb was used on the verses. It doesn't get any sweeter than that....
There is so much more for her to learn about blocking and getting her knee levers adjusted so she can sit more to the right is the most important thing to focus on. I want her eye sight angle to the bar to be right...This will aid her intonation and visually it will definitely connect the heart to the bar....All of us and its even spoken about in Lloyd's video focus on the bar, not the right hand for the emotional connection to the instrument.

Paul

Sharon Frances

Elk Horn, KY 42733
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 11:01 am    

Franklin wrote:
Dale and John,

Sharon is doing fantastic! She is just a few weeks into the course and already I have seen her go miles beyond where she was. She is a natural musician. She even created some licks on the facebook quiz along with the more seasoned players from last week...She is a gifted sponge. I am so glad to see others are noticing her progress.

The myth that steelers "have" to play with picks is getting debunked as time goes by because its not true..... Nothing is holding her right hand back. Sharon can change to picks whenever she wants...Buddy, Myself, and many others played without picks when we were kids for the exact reason she started without them......Picks were too big for tiny fingers.

Buddy and I talked about the pros and cons of wearing picks and neither of us had problems getting fast or pretty tone with bare fingers. In todays world, I still choose many times to record without picks in the studio... She can also opt for using fingernails over picks like the Brent Mason's do on guitar.....At the end of the day we play a guitar string with a slide. I believe whatever works for guitarists will also work and can be applied to steel.

Adding reverb? Well just a little is OK. But Grace I would rather her not add any now, so she can focus on the right hand technique towards cleanliness. Reverb does sound better but it covers up imperfections in technique......Listen to Buddy Emmons "Danny Boy" no reverb was used on the verses. It doesn't get any sweeter than that....
There is so much more for her to learn about blocking and getting her knee levers adjusted so she can sit more to the right is the most important thing to focus on. I want her eye sight angle to the bar to be right...This will aid her intonation and visually it will definitely connect the heart to the bar....All of us and its even spoken about in Lloyd's video focus on the bar, not the right hand for the emotional connection to the instrument.

Paul

Thank you Paul, We really appreciate your guidance and encouragement. Regards, Grace & Dave

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 2:43 am    

This is wonderful!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Sharon Frances

Elk Horn, KY 42733
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 1:37 pm    

Stu Schulman wrote:
This is wonderful!!

Thank you

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 2:17 pm    

A tip of the hat to the parents of this youngster for their encouragement and support. A lot of kids don’t get that kind of thing, and it seems that Sharon appreciates it and is making the most of it. Nice to see that in the world.

Sharon Frances

Elk Horn, KY 42733
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2018 11:32 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
A tip of the hat to the parents of this youngster for their encouragement and support. A lot of kids don’t get that kind of thing, and it seems that Sharon appreciates it and is making the most of it. Nice to see that in the world.

Thank you, We appreciate your kind words ^_^