The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Win 10 V1809 Update Available for Manual Download
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2018 7:51 am    

The fall 2018 Win 10 update (V1809) is now available for manual download/install. I have updated my desktop and no issues, although I already had it installed last week with the latest Windows "Insider" version (I have a dual boot system).

I will caution those with older PC hardware that it may not be compatible or not 100% compatible so make sure you have a complete disc image (all partitions) backed up to a separate drive with Acronis or Macrium BEFORE you do the upgrade.

I did an "upgrade" to my desktop system but I also downloaded and created a bootable "ISO" V1809 on a USB flash drive in case its ever needed. The ISO could also be used on other PC's rather than download each one.

The info and instructions are in a thread on the tenforums.com linked below.
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/118968-windows-10-october-2018-update-now-available.html

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2018 7:20 pm    

I am holding off on downloading the new version 1509 because of reports of documents being deleted during the upgrade.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2018 9:20 pm    

The reports I've seen state that the default setting for the "Disk Cleanup" function on the 1809 upgrade is to delete anything in your "Downloads" folder under C:\Users.

That will probably snare some people.

I have had a few issues with the upgrade, such as folder view and sort settings not being carried over from the previous version and System Restore being turned off.

Others are reporting stuff such as new partitions suddenly appearing on the boot drive and hibernation being re-enabled if previously disabled.

I don't see any benefits to the new version. It does have some new features that Microsoft is bragging about, but I can't see me ever using any of them.

Unfortunately, you can't avoid the upgrade over the long run without heroic measures that may or may not work. You can delay, but at some point you will be assimilated.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 5:45 am    

V1809, Build 17763.1 has been pulled by MS. No specific reason but the problem some are having with deleted files may be one reason. I've had 17763.1 for over a week as I get the advanced "Insider" versions and didn't have problems with it. Not sure of what circumstance(s) cause the problems.

But, I'll repeat the suggestion (really should be mandatory) to make a full drive (all partitions) image backup to a separate drive BEFORE doing any major update such as this. The free (and most popular on computer forums I visit) Macrium Reflect or some other imaging program should be used to make the disc image. DO NOT use the built in Windows backup as its incomplete and does not do a full backup.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 8:31 am    

Jack;
I read some of the complaints about W10-1809 and there is valid speculation that the deletion of users' documents was related to OneDrive somehow. The responders suggested turning off OneDrive and/or unlinking it, which I did yesterday, as a precaution. Those who weren't using OneDrive to sync files were not impacted. Of course, this could be a coincidence.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 10:08 am    

Could be, Wiz, as I don't use one drive.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 11:58 am    

This is big news, regarding the issue of version 1809 deleting user documents and photos. Microsoft says they can undelete those files. Read the details at Bleeping Computer.

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 4:24 am    

Microsoft has halted the rollout of its latest major feature update to Windows 10 after some early upgraders reported the update wiped their personal files.

More about Windows

Top ten enterprise features in the Windows 10 October Update
Windows 10 and 7 support changes: How they affect you
How to reset your Windows 10 password when you forget it
Subscribe to our Microsoft Weekly newsletter
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update was made available last Tuesday and was due to begin rolling out automatically from tomorrow. However, on Saturday, Microsoft announced it had "paused" the rollout, removing the ability for general users to receive the update manually.

Microsoft's decision is in response to a growing number of complaints from users who say the update deleted files in their user Documents and Photos folders — in some instances resulting in the loss of many thousands of files dating back years.

Those affected should "minimize your use of the affected device and contact us directly at +1-800-MICROSOFT, or find a local number in your area", according to Microsoft's support page.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 10:04 pm    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
I am holding off on downloading the new version 1509 because of reports of documents being deleted during the upgrade.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/10/microsoft-fixed-the-data-loss-issue-in-windows-10-version-1809/

"The issue was caused by two changes that Microsoft implemented in Windows 10 version 1809:

Implementation of code to remove empty duplicate known folders automatically during upgrade.

Change to the update construction sequence.

The result was that the upgrade process deleted the old folder and with it the data that it still contained as it assumed that it was a duplicate of the new folder.

In particular:

Users who moved a Known Folder to a new drive experienced the issue if content of the old folder was not moved to the new destination.

Users who moved a Known Folder to OneDrive but did not move files in the process had files deleted in the old location.

Users who enabled AutoSave functionality in older versions of OneDrive as existing files were not moved to the new OneDrive location."

And here's my favorite part:

"Issues that data loss occurred was reported by Insiders to the Feedback Hub months prior to the release of Windows 10 version 1809. It appears that the reports were not noticed as they did not receive a whole lot of votes or feedback."

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 2:23 am    

I'm in the Insider program and get the advanced versions. I never noticed the problem as I primarily get that to check compatibility of my recording studio software. I don't do much else with the Insider versions. I have very little other than the recording software installed on the Insider version.