The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guitarist interested in pedal steel
Rondo Johnson

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 9:09 am    

Hello all. I will try to be brief.

I'm a long-time guitarist/instrumentalist interested in leaping into the world of pedal steel. I've had interest for many years and can't wait to finally do it. I am a teacher and consider myself an advanced player (theory knowledge, knowledge of styles, reading and improvising skills, etc.).

I definitely want to learn both E9 and C6 tunings in time, although I will stick with E9 for awhile. Because of this, I'm leaning towards a doubleneck.

My main intimidation is not learning how to play, but my lack of knowledge in dealing with the extra levers, maintenance issues, or difficulty in fixing a potential problem with a more complicated instrument. How common is jumping right in like this, and how over my head might I be if I go this route?

Thanks in advance for asking my question that I'm certain has been repeated many times.

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 9:21 am    

I rebuilt mine before I'd ever played a note on pedal steel. Even if you're not mechanically inclined, your're in Tennessee so you can't be too far from someone who's competent to work on one.

Best bet is to buy one from a reputable dealer or player you know/trust to have it set up correctly so you only have to worry about what's wrong with the player Wink

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 10:12 am    

Check out Justice Pedal Steel Guitars, can't go wrong with Fred.

www.justicesteelguitars.com

Bruce

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 10:31 am    

Most people replying in this section of the forum are going to give you encouragement.

I was certainly in your boat when I first started playing steel. I went from dobro to lap steel to pedal steel. But for me, pedal steel was a bridge too far. It IS mechanical, and I'm not mechanically inclined. And they are heavy. I'm much more into being able to grab an instrument and go.

So: I'd advise to check out lap steels first. You can get started, play some great music, not have to deal with the mechanics. Unless you need to reproduce those classic pedal steel licks for a trad country band, I think lap steel is a lot more versatile.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 10:35 am    

E9th demystified for guitarists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKM2DwOwoHk

Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 10:39 am    

Hi, Rondo. Where in TN are you located?

I would recommend buying a professional level guitar if possible; that will nix most of your potential mechanical problems. By professional, I mean that you (or a mechanic) should be able to change the setup. The “starter” guitars of today are built very well, but most are E9 only.

Find a teacher who can help you relate your knowledge on styles and theory from other instruments to the steel guitar.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 10:42 am    

A fixer upper is not good to start on.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 11:13 am    

Get in touch with me, I'm in Nashville..I'll help you get startedand pointed in the right direction...Mike

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 2:41 pm    

Just do it.

Buy a modern steel from a reputable source, and you won’t have to worry about working on it.

All the levers you don’t use today you may use tomorrow. You don’t have to have the most complex set up, four or five knees is plenty.

I like the idea of a D10 if you can swing it, ( and carry it) ...you never know which tuning will trip your trigger. I learned C6th first , and then learned E9 on the job.

The way I look at it is IF you end up selling it in a few years, maybe you just paid X per year to own it. Like renting.

If you really want to, just do it. Go for it.

Rondo Johnson

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 3:32 pm    

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I am just gonna go for it. That's what I wanted to do. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't getting into something way to heavy for me from a maintenance or care point. I'm expecting it to be heavy weight wise. But not planning to gig on one for some time, at least not regularly.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2018 12:11 pm     Playing Pedal Steel

Well, you can't learn to swim, if you don't get wet. But like swimming, playing a Pedal Steel Guitar requires you to know a little bit about what is going to happen. You gotta buy a guitar, in your case, you're looking for a Double Neck.

There are several guitars in the "For Sale Section". You'll need a good volume pedal, a good seat, some picks, a bar, an amp & some cords. I'd get a couple songs that are tabulated, to get you going. Then interfacing with the guitar, your music education & some trial, you'll be playing your favorite song in 2 or 3 different ways.

Then with your musical prowess, you can start learning to play along with songs on YouTube. There is quite a bit of instruction available on You Tube.

Good Luck

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2018 5:37 pm    

Don’t get overwhelmed by all the extra gear you think you’ll need.
Get the steel, a bar, and the rest in due time. Compromise on some of the gizmos, and that wil insure you get the dough for the most important piece, the guitar.

Take your Time reading about the rest, and ask some questions, lots of good knowledge here.

Last edited by Steve Spitz on 6 Oct 2018 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2018 6:11 pm    

Use two finger picks and a thumb pick for sure. Go for it. Smile Smile Smile Smile

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2018 9:21 am    

Kevin Fix wrote:
Use two finger picks and a thumb pick for sure. Go for it. Smile Smile Smile Smile

Or 3 Smile

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2018 8:11 pm    

Hi Rondo,

I am in your boat. A life long instrumentalist (tuba) as well as ameture guitarist. I am very new to PSG.

Dude, jump right on in. Get a double neck. Grips on the E9 will become familiar then expand to using other strings, pedals, etc. A couple of tunes you can play on C6 but save that neck until you master the E 9th. I am with you.

Go for it!

Jon

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 4:55 pm    

Rondo,
If it helps any, let me share this. When I first got the steel bug I went and looked at a great steel for sale, but wasn’t sure I knew what I was getting into. I was scared to spend the money, and I passed it up.

Bad decision. It was a great deal on a fabulous axe, and it would have really got me going full throttle. Later on , I really struggled to get the dough I had that one day, and by then I was fully addicted. I wanted a pro steel more than anything and really regretted doubting my conviction.

I finally got that steel, but I hesitated, and it sidetracked me. Don’t get sidetracked. If you want to play steel, buy one.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 6:14 pm     Re: Guitarist interested in pedal steel

Rondo Johnson wrote:
I will try to be brief.

Rondo, don't worry about that. There is nothing about this instrument that is brief. Get one, get to know it. Progress does not come easily, but the successes are very rewarding.

Welcome to the madness. It's a "nice little hobby."

Geoff Noble

Scotland
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 11:57 am    

Go for it Rondo, played guitar for a lot of years, like you always wanted to play pedal steel. Been at it for 8 years now and loving it. Took me while to get the basic techniques but getting there now I think.

I started on a student model, I wish I had gone for a good 2nd hand pro guitar from the start, it would have saved a lot of initial frustration. I eventually went down the 12 string Universal route.

Be warned, it's extremely addictive Cool

"There is no bad music, only music you don't like" - Me

YTube- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqsA-Ahlgr2Z2sw71WJHGg/videos

SCloud - https://soundcloud.com/just-jef/tracks

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 1:19 am    

Rondo, many of us here came from the same 'boat" that you are in. If you are even slightly proficient with basic theory you will have no issues. Basically, the E9th is premised on I to IV , I to V changes, relative minors as well as variants of 7ths and 9ths. Obviously more but I mention those in simplicity. They are all sitting right in front of you.

Do not be concerned with levers etc,think about them in the same way you move your left hand fingers on the guitar fret board to change or alter a position. In a reasonably short period you will come to know the "home" positions. It's not rocket science.

What you will come to see is that as you start applying what you know, Guitar to Steel, not long down the road it will reverse, Steel to Guitar.

Do indeed start with a quality modern era instrument, don't spend your time trying to make the instrument function, spend your time studying the music.

A quality single neck E9th, ( used or new) be it 3 and 4 or 3 and 5 will get you to where you need to be. Don't worry about another tuning such as C6th right now, you can do that tomorrow ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 9:12 am    

You play guitar with your hands. Pedal steel is played with your whole body, like drums. That’s the biggest difference. Musically it is very easy to think of them the same way at first - chords, scales, etc., but that changes as you go along. Definitely start out on an instrument that is in top mechanical condition.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 9:45 am    

Hi Rondo. I was in the same place you are now a year and a half ago. I ordered a new MSA after Jim Palenscar advised me that if I didn't want to be dealing with other people's problems, buying new from a reputable company would be a better way to go. And, I'm glad I did - it's expensive but man what a great machine!

I played an old console I bought for about 10 months while it was being built, to work on my right hand with.

I'd been a lifelong 6-stringer like yourself and had a very good working knowledge of music, and a lot of stage experience, and it has been an invaluable asset toward the change.

My experience has been this: I'm not so concerned about the mechanics - there's plenty of time to worry about that later. The pedals and levers are pretty simple - it's a matter of remembering where to find the chords and phrases (that you probably already know!) The thing is a beast though - there's a lot going on here! For me (I'd been out of music for almost 10 yrs), it was almost like starting over without having to learn the music and theory end of it. The biggest challenge has been proper (or even acceptable) right hand technique, and, realizing that it is going to take a while before I'm ready to set up on a bandstand. - it's very different from 6-string in a lot of ways I hadn't imagined.

All that being said: I'm very very happy I took the plunge! It's very rewarding, fun and challenging - just like learning 6-string as a kid was. I would wholeheartedly advise you to go for it!

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 5:56 am    

Here ya go Rondo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yKM2DwOwoHk

Andrew Wright

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 7:24 am    

I'm mostly failing in that transition, now a few years in. Pedal steel has been brutally difficult to pick up, and I find it harder to enjoy practice time than the other instruments I've learned.

That being said, it's very rewarding in the rare moments something pleasant comes out of my amp!

I would recommend going with an S10 or SD10. You might as well learn what you like and what you want before buying a double neck, and the search is half the fun. So don't feel like you need to buy your "forever" pedal steel on the first try.

I would highly recommend a Zum Encore, though I've elected to keep my MCI S10 over the Zum after I played them side by side for a bit.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 8:10 am    

Hi Rondo,
I don't think you need to worry about the mechanics too much if you get a pro guitar that's set up right. You'll just play it and maybe the rare tuning tweak. When I first started in '71, I bought an MSA S10 4x2 and a bar. Really. No pedals , no amp, no picks. I first figured out the basics of strings 3,4,5,6 and the A, B pedals listening to Poco records on a little record player. Yup, just softly, with my ear down to hear the strings acoustically. Was about 10 months before I got an amp.
You'll pick up this instrument, just go for it. Then if you need help with the machine, your forum friends and the internet can help. Mike Holder's offer to help sounds like a winner. Have fun!
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 9:10 am    

I'll chime in as well, Rondo.
I'm a very big proponent of Universal 12 string pedal steel. I did not move from standard guitar to steel, but I have a very knowledgeable friend who plays jazz and classical (and more). He dabbles on his U12, and is also sold on the 'one big tuning'. (Another thread here is from a guy moving into pedal steel, and I have a thread here as well, with many good comments from players who advocate a D10 over a U12 or vice versa. You may find some helpful info in choosing).
Whatever you choose, you're probably better off with a solid, late model pro steel, rather than a student model.
If you list your location, some of us will be able to steer you to a qualified service person or builder.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.