The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning in E7, 8 Strings
Larry McFall

Huntsville,Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2018 9:08 am    

Haven’t played much in E7 in so many years. Took all my lesson back in the late 40s and early 50s in the E7 tuning and didn’t know there was any other tuning to speak of for years however, I have discovered what I think is a unique and pretty sound and have put some songs together.

I am not sure what key there in at times for I have no rhythm playing with me and lack the ability to play the chords on my acoustic. It seems like much of it is in minors.

Anybody putting sounds together in E7? I just may be the only odd ball out there playing in this past in time, tuning. I still consider my Kroger neck tuned in C6.

Yep, you guessed it, a none pedal 1957 Fender Stringmaster, D8. I’m always trying to get my Fender D8 to Sound like a $10,000.00 Pedal. Think I will ever make it????

I suppose it could be just me Shocked
Played the Steel from 1948. Have had the opportunity to play a multitude of Military venues considering I spent over 32 years with the U.S. Army. Got to play in many foreign countries which was fantastic. Married to the same woman for more than 57 years. Have children, all of them served in the military. 7 Grandchildren.

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2018 3:22 pm    

I just got my '54 National D-8 operational and I just followed the tunings on the string packaging, C6 and E7. I'm coming from open E on six string, so I figure I'll give it a try until the strings go dead. Don't some of the sacred steel players use E7?

Larry McFall

Huntsville,Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2018 6:02 pm    

I don’t know Paul. You may be correct on the sacred steel players. I’m working some sounds with it I need to bounce off of people.
Played the Steel from 1948. Have had the opportunity to play a multitude of Military venues considering I spent over 32 years with the U.S. Army. Got to play in many foreign countries which was fantastic. Married to the same woman for more than 57 years. Have children, all of them served in the military. 7 Grandchildren.

Aaron Johnson

Lemoore, CA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 3:29 am    

Larry I'm working my way through the MelBay Filiberto E7 book now.

Larry McFall

Huntsville,Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 7:44 am    

Good start! Melbay is a good place to be and of course they are using the E7 tuning specially for the 6 string. It seems that is a starting place for a lot of lessons however, after years and years of my neglect to the E7, I have returned with some new findings and determination to write some new sounds.

I tune my Fender Stringmaster D8, inboard neck to E7, i,e,. E-B-G#-E-D-B-G#-E. The string combinations I get are very pleasing to my ear. I honestly work on trying to get a better sound much like the pedals however, I never will get that smooth transition by minipulation of the Bar like the pedal do with stretching of the strings.

Paul had mentioned the sacred steel players tuning in E7 which I think they often do or at least, in E Major. I just happen to believe that the steel guitar is a sacred musical instrument and in my 68 years I have seen response to the sound as very spiritual. Many I listen to today, often the pedal, moves me in a good spiritual way.