The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roadie Tuner
Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 1:33 pm    

Has anyone tried one of these guitar tuners.
https://www.roadietuner.com/roadie2/

Tom Keller

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2018 6:26 pm    

I'd just learn to tune! I think these things are for rank amateurs, and it looks like they'd only work on regular guitar tuning, not a steel guitar.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 9:10 pm     Might help when changing strings

I think they do work on pedal steel guitars. I just thought it might speed up changing strings. Thoughts anyone?

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 9:53 pm    

IMHO, at $129, what's the point?

If it's just rapidly getting the string on, a manual string winder can be had for a buck or two. A power version (e.g., Ernie Ball) can be had for $20 - I got a couple on sale for about $12 each. You need to stop cranking the tuner when you're in the ballpark - otherwise they do the same thing.

As far as fine-tuning, I honestly doubt it. This is basically the same type of thing as those Gibson Tronical tuning systems that they put on some guitars in 2015. When they were blowing those guitars out at about half the original price, I decided to try a LP Special. The automated tuners were far more trouble than help, and would at best get me in the ballpark. Everyone I know (several people) who tried one either dumped the guitar or replaced the tuners with Grovers. I dumped mine - I got it cheap enough it didn't hurt.

I agree with Donny - focus on getting the guitar in tune with your ears. I know people disagree on this, but my attitude is that if I can't hear well enough to get the guitar in tune without the bar in play, I'll never be able to hear well enough to play in tune.

YMMV and all that.