Author Topic:  Building a Lap Steel
David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 4:20 am    

David M Brown wrote:
Casey Saulpaugh wrote:

-Asher bridge
]

I do have a question for you guys - the guitar looks nice, but I wonder why the Gibson-style electric guitar bridge on adjustable posts, rather than a simple plain metal bridge like most of the older steels?

This seems to be a modern trend; is is from regular electric guitar building techniques? for a certain tone? to use a certain maker's bridge?

Just curious....

same idea
Godfrey Arthur wrote:
David Mason wrote:
The two MONGO-EST ideas my brain cuddles up with in my Imaginary Ultimate Rad Project (I-URP) are:

Articulate and funny.. Very Happy

Quote:
Here are some details for the lap steel so far (will post pics below):
-Maple body, mahogany top, ebony fretboard/headstock
-22 1/2” scale length
-Asher bridge
-Six string

Can someone expound on the benefits of the Asher bridge for a lap steel?

still wondering myself!

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 1:36 pm    

Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to check it out ya'll. Richard chose this Asher bridge mostly because of two things: its adjustability and it is non-radiased.

This build/guitar was designed in the process of the build, so having the versatility and flexibility of being able to adjust the bridge was nice. This gave us the ability to adapt to the building and design process, and being able to adjust the height was beneficial. Also, Richard doesn't play steel guitar or any instrument, so it was definitely nice on his end to have this capability during the process.

In regards to it being non-radiused, there were a lot less options to find a non-radiused bridge, so this also led us to this particular bridge.

The round bar on the bridge, that the strings rest on, can also be replaced if desired. This opens up more options too if wanted.

We're really happy with the way the bridge works and turned out -- it worked well for this particular build and the process.

Richard is creating a sweet custom case for it right now, will post pics sometime.

Thanks again for checking it out!

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 1:51 am    

Casey Saulpaugh wrote:
Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to check it out ya'll. Richard chose this Asher bridge mostly because of two things: its adjustability and it is non-radiased.

This build/guitar was designed in the process of the build, so having the versatility and flexibility of being able to adjust the bridge was nice. This gave us the ability to adapt to the building and design process, and being able to adjust the height was beneficial. Also, Richard doesn't play steel guitar or any instrument, so it was definitely nice on his end to have this capability during the process.

In regards to it being non-radiused, there were a lot less options to find a non-radiused bridge, so this also led us to this particular bridge.

The round bar on the bridge, that the strings rest on, can also be replaced if desired. This opens up more options too if wanted.

We're really happy with the way the bridge works and turned out -- it worked well for this particular build and the process.

Richard is creating a sweet custom case for it right now, will post pics sometime.

Thanks again for checking it out!

Thanks for explaining.