The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Examples of tone from various PSGs?
Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2018 4:10 pm    

Hi. On the forum, I read experienced steelers talking about the unmistakable tone of push/pull or Emmons or Franklin guitars. Would anybody be willing to pass on a few titles of songs that demonstrate classic sounds of particular guitars? As a beginner, I can't hear it.

I'm very interested in what different steels sound like, but I need some guidance from players and listeners who have the ears to teach what's what.
I know that's asking a lot, but I would appreciate it- and I suspect there are other beginner forumites who would benefit.
Thanks
Al

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2018 4:43 pm    

I think this is a great question!

Maybe folks will put up Sho~Bud, ZB, Emmons, Franklin, Zum and others. What would be cool is if there were songs by the same player but on two different brands of guitars.

Like Bobby Black on a Sho~Bud Professional and and Emmons D12, for instance.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2018 5:53 pm    

Sho Bud LDG and Lloyd Green and the BIG E on a Emmons. Two distinct tones of what a Sho Bud sounds like and what a Emmons sounds like. Also Ricky Davis and his Bud.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2018 8:50 pm    

Kevin Fix wrote:
Sho Bud LDG and Lloyd Green and the BIG E on a Emmons. Two distinct tones of what a Sho Bud sounds like and what a Emmons sounds like. Also Ricky Davis and his Bud.

Good point, Kevin.

Buddy Emmons played a Sho-Bud during his stint with Ernest Tubb (1957 to 1962) and his first year with Ray Price (1962). Emmons played with Ray Price until 1967. Since he started the Emmons Guitar Co. in 1963, there's a timeline for comparisons--"Before 1963" vs. "After 1963".

Buddy also played a Sho-Bud on the classic album "The Two Aces Back Together", a.k.a.
"Picks The Famous Sho-Bud Guitars [1971] - Shot Jackson And Buddy Emmons"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVAHaObmJiA&t=199s

Buddy certainly sounded like Buddy playing a Sho-Bud on the Shot Jackson album, but his later recordings with an Emmons Guitar sounded to my ear, richer in tone with more mid-range.
A lot of the Nashville players switched from Sho-Bud to Emmons guitars when they came onto the market.

Each to their own. Very Happy

- Dave

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2018 9:35 pm    

Kevin Fix wrote:

You can hear that difference distinctly on the new Sweetheart of the Rodeo album by Lloyd Green and Jay Dee Maness.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2018 1:08 am    

b0b wrote:
Kevin Fix wrote:

You can hear that difference distinctly on the new Sweetheart of the Rodeo album by Lloyd Green and Jay Dee Maness.

yep...

And I can hear the distinct difference between all my previous Steels, Sho Buds, Carters etc compared to my 81 Push Pull. It has a distinct tone which jumps out especially in the lower fret board region. Playing off the 8 and 5 combo from the upper frets down to the zero or first fret is defining.

My earlier model Sho Buds also had a very distinct tone, different than the Emmons or other guitars. The last one was a D10 pro III with stock pups, it was outstanding, especially in the upper fret board positions. You knew it was a Sho Bud. You knew it was different.

The thing about Steels, tone , or guitars and tone, is that you understand or learn where it is significantly different ( sweet spots) and you lean towards those positions. Kinda like a Bass, many pro's wont even plug one in when selecting a new instrument, they will play it with no amp and hear what it sounds like under the 5th fret. What kind of natural fret board sound does it produce ?

It is said, because he said so, Buddy played Danny Boy in F , not because it was the right key to play it in musically but because to him, F brought out the sound of his Instrument. And we all lived happily ever after ever since !

But wait, years back I did a C6 project playing the Carter, a fellow forumite sent me a note telling me that my Emmons sounded great ! I replied back, thx , but my Emmons is a Carter ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 3 Oct 2018 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2018 12:42 pm    

Allan, if you want to hear a master player play on many different brands of guitars, just search youtube for David Hartley...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWV9tEN16_k&list=PLE258278D373B696E

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2018 4:30 pm     Let's do it this way...

The "Lloyd Green Sho~Bud Sound"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM7Fi2tqGo0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-f19HBbJkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtzHbHYzNHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr-rIUucjpQ

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2018 5:05 pm     Emmons vs PP

Here's a great video by two of the best players who ever played the steel guitar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqQ7CMJypPg

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2018 6:58 pm    

I forgot about David Hartley. Great example. I got the Sweet Heart of the Rodeo CD also. You can sure hear the difference between the Sho Bud and Emmons. One of the reasons why I have been playing Sho Buds for 35 years. Nothing wrong with a Emmons for sure. My ears love the sound of a Bud. I own a Mullen but I still prefer my Bud.

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2018 8:37 pm    

Thanks for all of those suggestions. I appreciate your time

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2018 10:54 pm    

In the video Don M. posted we shouldn't ignore the difference in the amps being used. It looks like a Twin Reverb sitting behind Lloyd Green. That's probably what he's using. I can't really tell what Jay Dee is using, but it sounds like a solid state amp.

In this one video I like Lloyd Green's tone better. But an Emmons through a good tube amp, such as a Twin Reverb, is a superb rig.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 6:30 am    

Lloyd Green typically uses a Fender Twin Reverb with a 15" JBL speaker. The unique "scoop" of that speaker has a large influence on his tone, in my opinion.

Jay Dee Maness uses a stereo rack system - I don't know exactly what's in it - and two 15" speakers. He uses Tonealigner pickups to adjust the balance of individual strings.

The bottom line is that neither of these giants has the typical tone associated with their guitar brand. The effect of electronics on tone is substantial.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 8:43 pm    

My favorite tone comes from a steel I built myself using an EMCI aluminum frame with a butcher block hard rock maple soundboard. I built it like a violin or spanish guitar because the changer bridge is a good 1/4" higher than the roller nut exerting more pressure on the bridge end of the guitar. It's a different animal but sings and cries like a bird. Most pedal steels sound dead to my ears.
Back to your original question, If you will follow this link to my YouTube videos I'm playing everything under the sun. A good cross section of all kinds of pedal steels and most recorded direct with no amps or EQ to change the sound.
No great players either to give a false impression of what it really sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13e6o4n4mfg