The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  12 string conversion back to 10?
Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 5:02 am    

Is it feasible to convert a 12 string pedal steel back to a 10 string so as to get much wider string spacing? Remove two fingers, add spacers and make a new roller nut... and obviously completely redo the entire undercarriage!

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 6:07 am    

I wouldn't. Lots of work, machining, and then the new guitar isn't original any more . . . .

I would just spend 1500 for a 10 string.

Chris

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 6:30 am     12 string to 10 string

it would depend on what steel you have. if, where me
i would take off the two bottom strings and make it
a 10 string. that's what i did to a couple of m.s.a s-12 just my 2 cents

p.w

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 7:23 am    

Total speculation on my part, but his avatar shows him playing a dobro. He might be trying to get a steel guitar with the string spacing similar to a dobro.

And, keeping a guitar "original" is not a priority to a lot of players. Having a guitar that best serves them is much more important.

Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 7:29 am    

I'm not just looking for a 10 string - I'm looking for a 10 string with wider string spacing. A 12 string by design has the wider changer area and nut which would allow me to spread things out a bit using only 10 strings.

I'm sure there are some builders who will make me a wide 10, but every once in a while I see a good deal on a 12 and makes me wonder about a conversion.

*edit after seeing Richard's post - that's exactly the case... I'm looking for acoustic dobro type spacing in a pedal steel.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 8:31 am    

I have an 8-string Sierra that is made on a 10-string changer.
The string spacing is wider.
They put 2 separators between each changer-finger instead of just 1.
It was originally a custom order, from back in the 70's.

Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 1:03 pm    

That’s along the lines of what I’m thinkin of Pete. One issue I see is the ability to line up the return springs properly to avoid any diagonal tension. I might have to fashion new mounting points to line up with the new finger positions if it’s a crooked pull.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 2:32 pm    

I expect the spacing at the changer can be achieved with sizing of the spacers between the roller bridges and fingers provided the scissors assemblies all line up.

The greater challenge might be the nut end. As most keyheads are machined from aluminum to fit a roller axle and rollers there are dividers between the rollers and this mechanism is machined out of the same piece as the rest of the keyhead on many guitars. If you can find a 12 string guitar that has the roller nut assembly separate, bolted onto the keyhead or body, you might be able to fashion or have fashioned a nut that will accommodate the wider spacing modified for a 10 string like you envision.

I think your idea is a good one and is plausible but with some challenges. Good Luck!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 4:47 pm    

The changer end would be a piece of cake. Just add some spacers, like you said (and maybe an axle support). However, the neck and keyhead end is another matter. The nut area could be machined away, and then re-welded and re-machined. Lining up the keys might be problematic, too, depending on the head design. You want the strings to pull straight, so a longer keyhead (or a 2-piece one) would likely work better.

All in all, it would be a lot to modify an existing guitar, but it is doable. Actually, I'm surprised that at least one builder doesn't offer this option on their guitars. Shocked

Maybe one will read this, and pioneer the way?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 7:18 pm     12 string conversion back to 10

Mr. Hinson I agree with you. Taking out 2 fingers and adding spacers to the changer, Would be easy. Then replace the plate the rod ends come through for the tuning nuts, Move and align the return springs.

Then Move the bell cranks on the cross rods to align with the new finger spacing would not be to hard.
Then comes the Tuner head end. I would think the easies way to go would be, Us a keyless tuning head. Put spacers in it like the changer. If a bar that held the tuning screws could be replaced by just removing about 4 screws, Mark new tuner screw holes then drill and tap them may be the easiest way, Since some do not use rollers on the nut, Its just a smooth surface for the strings to ride over.

I am not wanting to rain on your project.
It would be a lot easier to just find a 10 string steel you can play, Then make a new bridge for your Do-Bro to match the string spacing on the steel. One or two pieces of bone would be a lot easier job.
Good Luck in this adventure, Happy Steelin

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2018 4:31 am    

Here are pics of the 8 string built on a 10 string body.

Last edited by Pete Burak on 26 Sep 2018 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2018 4:37 am    

These are good comments guys, thanks. As they say - talk is cheap so it’s easy to just spitball ideas here and think about what’s possible.

I do know that Jimmy Hudson advertised a 10 string pedal steel with 3/8” spacing but he only offers a pull release changer. I’m not interested in giving up some double lowers and splits I have in my setup so that’s a deal breaker.

Gary Patterson

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2018 5:15 am    

Seems like the string spacing would matter most at the changer end, affecting the player's picking. Is it important to change the spacing at the nut, or can you just leave it be down there?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2018 6:07 am    

Greg's thought was about modifying a 12 string, so you'd have to deal with the nut regardless considering that.

A 10 string keyhead and nut could be used, but the taper from changer to nut might be too severe to be comfortable...assuming 3/8" spacing at the changer end.

Some issues may be only obvious when fitting up parts. Some planning as well as some trial and error would likely be necessary.