The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Amps And The Nasal Sound
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2018 5:12 am    

Larry Ball wrote:
I have just been playing the PSG for nearly a year now and I have been going through the research about amps, tone, weight and size. Being an "Old" guitar player since the 50's I grew up with Fender. Yes I tried all the rest. In saying all this I have a bunch of good fender tube amps which I have tried with my "Mullen SD10" and I do not like the sound. As mentioned by other's, they are too bright.

If you try to set a Fender like a Peavey you will not like it. On a tube amp mids are your friend. Turn your mids to about 8.5 your highs to 3.5 and your bass to 5. Also run your volume on about 4. The tubes have to work to get good tone.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2018 11:19 am    

It's all personal taste, Craig. I used Fender amps for decades, but I always ran the mids way down to get good, solid bass. When you run the mids way up on most all amps, the bass response is gone - unless you're playing super-loud. I tend like the deeper sounds, like Chalker and Big Jim Murphy used to use. Naturally, it doesn't "cut through" that well, but it gives an organ-like impact to the tone.

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2018 11:40 am    

Donnie do you know about what year Peavy started putting those mods in and would it be on a Nashv 112. Thanks

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2018 5:25 pm    

If memory serves me correctly, it was around 2000, The Nashville 112 came out 4 or 5 years after that, I think, so it would have had the mod when built. However, some players do change the op-amps of the 112 for a different (cleaner?) sound and slightly different tone. However, that's far more subtle than the earlier "tone mod" thing.

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2018 6:04 pm    

Thanks a lots Donny I got mine 2008 or 9, it was the last TSGA show that John Fabian was at just before he passed. Bought my Carted D10 and Peavey 112 from his wife at the show.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 2:28 am    

The Peavey Nashville 400 "mod" was made part of production in the fall of 96. Nashville 400 with serial number 08575482 and above have the "mod" incorporated in production.

The Nashville 1000 and 112 use the same identical preamp board. The EQ in these models are similar to (if not the same) the modded Nashville 400 EQ.

Alan Cannell

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 3:51 am    

Never had a problem with Peavey EQ , my humble opinion is they seem to have a lot of guts and perhaps not everyone likes that for a Steel Amp. Not sure how old this is but here’s another blast from the past , my Peavey Session 400 Head. It has been fully serviced and sounds great , but how rare are these and is there anyone out there still using these?

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 5:03 am    

I installed the Fox Mod Kit in my 112. It made a difference for sure.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 3:10 am    

I have two about 10 years old NV112 – one each side of the pond.

1: original IC-set and speaker.
Distortion too high for my taste – sounds quite raw ("nasal" and noisy) at low volumes, and it filters out real low frequencies.
2: upgraded IC-set and original speaker.
Distortion low enough for comfort, but it filters out real low frequencies.

As I have no need for the NV112s input/EQ "control facilities" in my set-ups, I bypass these stages and plug buffered VP into the power-amp input on the front of the amp – only the NV112's Volum and Reverb controls are in the loop.
That way I bypass the built-in high-pass filtering and get real lows through, and also pretty inaudible distortion – both amps sound the same. What little control I need over the frequency curve, etc., is taken care of in the buffer placed strategically at/by the instrument.

Another advantage of using the NV112 more as a "powered speaker cab", is that the headroom is as high as the power-stage and speaker allow for. The "click" sound I often hear on pick-transients when others play through NV112s and other amps, is mainly peak-clipping in pre-stages, and this type of distortion is greatly reduced when pre-stages are bypassed.

Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 6:07 pm     Peavey amps

I have always played thru a Peavey.

My Favorites are:
Session-500 I love the depth of the Reverb

Session-400 Limited Is up there pretty close to the 500's

NV-1000 Is up there also
But they are all HEAVY but they sound great.

NV-400 Is another choice not as HEAVY as the above amps.

Bandit-65 I modified the Bandit-65 with a 15" JBL E-130 8 Ohms speaker now its got a lot more bottom.

I have a Sho~Bud Christmas Tree amp with a 15" JBL E-130-8 Ohms speaker sound great a little on the HEAVY side.

I wish it had a E-Fex Loop in it but well you cannot have it all.

As you can see I like Peavey Amps

Larry