The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Al Pettys Heel Pedals
Jack Mansfield

Reno, NV
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2006 8:24 pm    

I have read that Al Petty used something called heel pedals. What were they and how did they work? Does anybody use them today?

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2006 8:30 pm    

Like this?

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2006 8:34 pm    

The heel and toe pedals worked exactly the same way as normal pedals. Al played a Fender 1000 several years ago that had 16 total pedals, with no knee levers. The problem is the leg has to be supported under the thigh as you could not set your foot down or you would be activating a pedal. It was not very comfortable, but 4 pedals could be played with one foot very quickly. Hope this answers your question.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2006 10:08 pm    

I tried out Al's Sierra D12 at a show that Blackie Taylor hosted around 1980.
If I remember correctly Al had the first 3 toe pedals on E9 set up standard Emmons style. The first heel pedal raised the E's to F, and the 2nd heel pedal lowered the E's to E flat.
So if you had your foot on your A&B pedals (toe) you could let up off the B pedal and hit the first heel pedal to raise your E's - like you would do with your F lever. Same thing with the E flat lever, only you would release the A pedal and your heel would go to the second heel pedal. Check out the pic on the link above and you can sorta see how this would work.

I should also mention that Al sat on a wide organ stlye bench. It was higher than a normal PakaSeat and it would support his legs so his feet never rested on the floor, but rather hung there above the pedals, the same way an organist does with bass pedals.