The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss Katana 100 with a Travis Toy speaker
John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 9:30 am    

I bought the guitar used so I'm not totally sure about that. I just know it's not noisy and sounds pretty good to me.
If I had to make a guess I think they are 710's

James, I think the perceived volume difference had to do with the frequency response difference in the area that at least my ears are sensitive to . I'm sure if I had eq'ed the amps for each speaker individually there would have been less difference .

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 12:59 pm    

John,
Thanks for doing this test.....My ears hear certain frequencies louder,or at least as you say perceived to be louder....I have to admit that I had my doubts earlier in this thread when you made mention of the Basslite speaker sounding similar to the TT.....I’m glad you continued the thread to prove your point....You surely opened my eyes/ears !!....Jim

Josephus Vroomans

The Hague, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 3:11 pm     cab modeling

Thanks for doing the test John. I decided to order the Basslite S2012 speaker. I received it Friday and like you said, swapping the speaker in the Mustang III was no problem at all.
Still using my same settings as with the original speaker I noticed a nice improvement in tone. I'm using the '65 Twin Reverb amp model, and the 65 Twin cab model.
I also copied your exact Studio Preamp settings from this topic, but unfortunately was unable to reproduce the sound from your test video. Maybe it's my guitar, or my limited playing skills. Probably both! However, after some tweaking with the eq and reverb settings it started sounding better.
So far I haven't been able to get a decent tone without using any cab modeling. No matter what eq settings I use, I'm getting a 'boxy'sound. As soon as I dial in a cab model like the 65 Twin or 2x12C I like the tone a lot better.
Anyway, so far I'm very pleased with the S2012. Thanks for all the work you did.

John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 2:45 pm     Joesephus

There are lots of variables to getting tone . I run of course a different pedal Steel . I have a buffered Volume pedal that would make a difference . Also picks and picking technique can make a difference in tone. I'm glad your happy with the S2012 , I played a guitar gig on my Mustang amp this passed weekend and was able to get some great tones from my Telecaster guitars .

Doug Hall

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 1:18 pm     TT-12 with Boss Katana 100 MkII

To get the conversation back to the title subject, a TT-12 neo speaker and a Katana 100 MkII...I'm staring at both right now, but the engineer in me has me pondering.... It's my opinion that putting an Emminence neo 300W TT-12 in a Kat 100 is a non-starter, based on weight, cost and performance. And for that matter, the same argument holds for a NV112. The Kat is a 100W amp with a conventional 100W speaker. The Emminence TT-12 speaker is a 300W neo speaker. While swapping the stock 100W speaker with a 100W neo speaker would save weight, a 300W neo is heavier than a 100W neo and, as it turns out, the 300W TT-12 is nearly the same weight as the stock 100W speaker. Therefore, there's no significant weight advantage. Sound-wise, a speaker needs to be driven to good operating range to sound best, and I'm guessing the 100W Kat amp could, at best, not reach the 300W speaker's sweet spot. The 300W neo costs MORE than a good-condition used Kat 100 MkII amp (today on Guitar Center). So, it doesn't make sense to me to swap the stock speaker out with a TT12. BUT I could see where it'd be a good swap in, for instance, a Quilter ToneBlock 202 (200W) set-up, or one of the Peavey 400-series amps paired with a custom 12" cab. Your thoughts?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2024 8:07 pm    

Doug, I think you have to give it a try. I like the sound of the 112 as it comes. I put a tt 12 in a fairly deep Crate speaker cab and I'm driving it with a Carvin 150 watt power amp, and it sounds awesome. That's not even approaching full volume. That power amp only pushes 75 watts a side.