JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2018 12:57 pm    

Andrew Winton playing a Jack Dudley Sipsey River lap guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SuQE377cko

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2018 1:33 pm    

Lordy, that thing sounds wonderful. I couldn't find any recent info about these. Are they still made?

JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2018 1:39 pm    

Dudley used to make and sell them through "Don't Fret Instruments", I don't think he sells them anymore. There's a lot more videos showing different palyers and guitars on YouTube, search "Sipsey River Steel

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2018 10:07 pm    

What we are hearing is the pickup, you could place the pickup on whatever and it would still sound like that pickup providing the strings were under tension and vibrating.

Lee

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 5:35 pm     Soundhole pickup

Lee has a point..check out some of Harry Manx playing his round-neck acoustic guitar on HIS lap.. sound is identical, without so much 'noodling' around..and more to back up the singer- himself! Artistry is fleeting at times, but it's what you do, and how well..with the little you have available ..IMHO, that is what will compel most any audience to pay close attention... unless a ringer goes off. Sad

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2018 11:27 am    

...so you're saying that the open chambered body, construction etc. contributes absolutely nothing to the sound of the instrument? You could strap the pickup on a pine 2x4, string it up and it would sound exactly the same as this guitar?

No, I don't believe that's true. All electric guitar models have different sounds owing to the type of material and construction.

If your premise was correct, all of them, using the same pickup, would sound the same. That is simply not the case.

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 12:51 am    

The problem is when people give sound samples of what is fundamentally an electric sound it leans towards the particular type of pickup used.

A Valco pickup has it,s own sound, as do ricki horseshoes, a classic acoustic soundhole pickup that stamps it,s own sound over what ever you fit it to is the Sunrise.

The lap in this post steel is interesting, but unplug it to see what it sounds like as a resonating log, the best electrics do have a lot of resonance when played acoustically as the resonance is then picked up by the pickup.

Lee

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 8:01 am    

A Godin acoustic electric 6-string guitar set up Hawaiian makes a nice lap steel.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2018 1:58 pm    

What's your point Lee? Who knows what it sounds like acoustically? The video is a plugged in clip. I don't understand why you want to belittle either the instrument or my comment complimenting the sound.

My statement was I thought it sounds wonderful. I never tried to analyze the reasons. I don't care why. I just love the sound of it.

I've never heard another instrument that sounds like this one.
If you guys have some examples of other guitars that sound exactly the same, please open another topic and post some of them for comparison.

Thanks for posting this clip John. Interesting indeed Smile

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 1:32 am    

The guitar has acoustic properties as it has a soundhole or two, a weissenborn has a soundhole, a tricone has a cone, but as soon a you get a sound sample via an electric pickup the sound you get to hear at least 3/4 of the sound is that pickup then influenced by the resonance of the guitar.

Not sure of the make of the pickup in this particular guitar but it would be interesting to see/hear it in an alternative context.

My observations were not set out to belittle the guitar just a comment on what we were actually hearing.

There are other factors to explore, what amp, microphone recording equipment etc..... well maybe that is too deep.

Lee