The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who is/are steel players on “Guit With It”?
Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2018 5:25 pm    

I know junior jumps back and forth on the guit steel, but who plays pedal steel on this album?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2018 6:50 pm    

Quite likely it's the man himself. Although not particularly known for it, Mister B. has played pedal steel for decades.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2018 7:39 pm    

Beyond likely, it IS Junior himself. Great playing, too! Very Happy

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2018 9:28 pm    

Junior had been playing both guitar and pedal steel in bands, but he decided that he needed to find a way to play guitar and steel at the same time, so in the 1980s, he had a dream where he was playing both guitar and steel at the same time, so he woke up after the dream and called Michael Stevens of Stevens Guitars, and talked with Michael about the dream he had, so Junior went to his shop in Austin, Texas and saw where he built custom guitars. So, in 1985, Junior and Michael Stevens made the dream come true with the guitsteel. Junior currently has two guitsteels for studio work, although his second guit-steel "Big Red" is his main guitar. You can hear Junior play pedal steel on his tenth album "Volume Ten" on his newest guit-steel, a pedal guit-steel that Jeff Surratt and Duane Marrs worked on. It's got a Stevens electric guitar on hinges, so Junior can play lead guitar and the steel is a Sho-Bud ten string pedal steel, and he stands up to play it. His pedal guitsteel is called "Old Bud"

Last edited by Brett Day on 24 Sep 2018 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 7:09 am    

I've know Junior since the beginning of the GuitSteel....and junior plays the GuitSteel and Pedal Steel on All his Albums.
Ricky

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 3:17 pm    

WOW

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 9:25 pm    

One of my favorite songs of Junior’s…

Junior Brown -- My Baby Don't Dance To Nothing But Ernest Tubb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj740rpZJ0

Junior Brown was a huge fan of Ernest Tubb…
JB’s vocals sound just like ET, his guitar playing sounds just like Leon Rhodes, and his pedal steel sounds just like Buddy Charleton. Plus JB wrote this great song!

What a talent!!

- Dave

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2018 6:48 pm    

Dave Magram wrote:
What a talent!!
Some years ago when I lived in the Twin Cities, JB played the Minnesota State Fair for a few years running -- two shows nightly for several consecutive days -- on one of the free stages. I would drive to the Southdale shopping center, hop on the free transit bus to the fairgrounds, pay the modest admission price, watch both shows, ride the bus back to the shopping center, and drive home. Did this routine several times during the fair's ten-day run for two or three years. Never got tired of watching Junior's show. Fun indeed to watch Mrs. Brown during "My Wife Thinks You're Dead."

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2018 1:35 pm    

saw junior years,ago in Austin during SXSW, at some outdoor park, at the end of the show he was playing the 'Close Encounters' thing at the end of the movie, totally cool and bizarre. I have all of his stuff, hes the best!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days