The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Twin Falls, Idaho steel guitarist Mike Remming
Doug Garrick

Grand Junction, CO
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 7:38 pm    

This is really hard for me but I want to inform everyone that our good friend and steel guitarist Mike Remming passed away August 31 from a very sudden and tragically brief illness. We are still heart-broken for his wonderful wife, Sherri and their family.

Mike had quite a few steel playing friends that I know he liked staying in touch with and I am sorry I was so late with this.

I met Mike right here on the forum a few years back. We became close friends over the wire. When we finally did meet face to face it was at a Time Jumpers concert in Deer Valley, Utah a few years back. This July, I finally got to hear Mike play in Garden City, Idaho. His band (Barton and Bollar) followed Pinto Bennett at a festival and they nailed it. Mike’s backups were masterful and his fills and solos were a perfect blend of timing, touch and tone.

I was just devastated to find out he passed away 6 weeks later. He’d have been 63 in November.

Mike was a good man who truly loved his family and the steel guitar world. He will be missed by his family and many friends.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 10:21 pm    

Doug, I'm sorry to hear about your friend Mike Remming passing away. My condolences go out to all of his family and friends. May he RIP.

Jerry D Smith

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 4:43 am     Some of our greatest gifts don't come in packages

I only met Mike Remmming once and it was between songs when he played in Boise, ID in June, 2018. I went to listen to him play, based on the recommendation from my other friend (Doug Garrick). Mike was accompanying two other gentlemen (Dr, Bill Barton on bass and Rick Bollar on guitar) and what I heard that evening was the absolute best in harmonies and instrumentation- especially with Mike's steel work. The group played for 3 hours straight and I asked him to call me the next day before he headed back home so I could learn more about his magic on the steel and the group in general (because I play drums and would have LOVED to play with them. He called me two days later and we talked to 2 hours on the phone about the group and playing steel- because I am trying to learn the instrument, as well. As he gave me tips on the steel, I made notes and told him everything I could about my background playing drums, as well as guitar, with other groups and being privileged to have "opened" for George Strait, Marty Robbins and Johhny Paycheck, years ago. A little over a month later Mike was back in Boise playing with the same group, but I couldn't go because I was already booked at another club. About a month later I get a call from the B&B group who asked if I wanted to play drums with them for 2 nights here in Boise. For me, this was as exciting as opening for the three stars I just mentioned and my reply was a definite YES!! Shortly after I had this conversation, I learned that Mike was in the hospital with some serious health issues. In the days hat followed I heard one of the treatments he was receiving was helping him make progress and I sent him a text to let him know I was one of his biggest supporters in praying for his full recovery- and thanking him for putting in a good word for me, so I could play with his group in 2 weeks. The bottom feel out of my world the following week when I learned he had died. The two gentleman who played with him drove over to Twin Falls and played a couple of songs for his memorial and that evening they drove back and allowed me to play with them at the same club where I first heard and met Mike. What I experienced that night was surreal. The two gentleman I played with welcomed me like a long lost friend and allowed me to add harmony parts to help fill the void left by not having Mike in the mix. Mike may not have been there physically on stage that night, but his spirit was there in very sense of the word. Thanks to him, I was able to play with two very talented players and for that I will be forever grateful. I wasn't able to thank him in person for the gift he gave me but I will think of him every time I'm on stage because believing in someone is something money can't buy.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 5:27 am     Twin Falls, Idaho steel guitarist Mike Remming

so sorry to here about mike. we went back and forth on MSA pedal steels he played one like mine. prayers are
sent to family...

p.w