The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  extended C6 or Uni B6 or XXX?
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 4:32 pm    

I have an underutilized E9/B6 single body uni (Emmons PP) with very heavy action..

Frankly it sounds in its natural place playing saxophone-ish leads from a straight B6 tuning just with the bar... No pedals needed but that would be really limiting and mostly a studio application. I do have some casual jazz stuff in my broader music life right now.. Moreso than E9 in terms of my current interest area.

I am thinking about investing in having it setup as a extended C6 or B6 based Uni. (Eg B6/E9 rather than E9/B6)

I really have no idea as to the utility of extended C6..havent studied it much.. Anything lower than the big fat C is a waste I think as I very rarely even use that..but a high G and D would be useful.

Ideally 5 knee levers and up to 7 pedals as I do not know how I would function without 5x5 on the C6 neck of my D10.

Ideas, advice?

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 4:35 am    

Larry Bell has a nice breakdown on tunings and is also a PP E9/B6 guy.
Might be worth a read:
http://www.larrybell.org/id5.htm

I have a Uni PP and the main thing I didn't like is that my A-pedal C# is a tuned a little flat of my P7-C#.
This means the string-5 A-pedal C# would never make that glorious "Body Contact" when depressed.
I took P7 off, and just use the A-pedal as a P7 substitute.
fwiw, imho/ime, The Uni tuning basically overloads the PP mechanism, from a "pedal-action" standpoint (pedals and levers get stiffer as you add more changes).

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 4:58 am    

Tom - It looks like you want to do something similar to what the Bb6 players do.

For what it's worth, here is how I set up my Emmons universal long ago.

https://b0b.com/tunings/baucum.htm

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 7:51 am    

Also, The first 3 strings on my Uni's are:
1-D#
2-G#
3-F#

This puts you in a more logical string order for 6th style playing, and strings 2-5 are in the same order as strings 6-9.
As a lifelong S12U player, this actually makes more sense to me from an E9th standpoint, also.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 9:42 am    

Pette...I have that same that string order on my 12 string Uni and my 10 string Uni. I play more B6 than E9...that F# must in that linier order.

Also discovered if I raise that F# to a G with my RKR lever I can get the same "lick's" pattern as the top two strings of an E9 tuning...ie. E to G (minor) or E to G# (Major) intervals.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 10:45 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
Larry Bell has a nice breakdown on tunings and is also a PP E9/B6 guy.
Might be worth a read:
http://www.larrybell.org/id5.htm

The Uni tuning basically overloads the PP mechanism, from a "pedal-action" standpoint (pedals and levers get stiffer as you add more changes).

Hi Pete, yes I have also been playing an MSA S12U E9/B6 for 20 years... Recall my 5x5 RiSC coped? Lol.

Yes the stiff action is what kills my interest in playing the PP uni... While I probably need the exercise and muscle strength, I prefer the gym..

If this was a 10 string PP I wpuld know exactly what to do with it.. It would get a duplication of my D10 C6 coped. But it has 12 strings.

CFACEGACEGDF. BOTTOM TO TOP?

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 11:02 am    

Maybe just play it as a 10-string for now then?

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 5:38 pm    

You are probably aware of the level of patience and expertise required to setup a PP...

If I do this, it will cost some $ and require a couple plane flights. So I am soliciting how best to aporoach it as a permanent 12 string instrument.

The knee levers available in a full C6 coped are very important to me.

Going to look into this Bb6 coped thing Lee talks about.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 8:58 pm    

Tom, I was thinking maybe just start backing off lock-collars until it plays like butter? Smile
No major surgury.

On the other hand... there are always a few guys who want to buy a S12U PP.
Maybe sell yours?
I just bought an 80's MCI S12U, and it is a breeze to work on.
I think you could find a used S12U that is much easier to experiment with than a Push Pull.
If you have gone D10 maybe just stay in the 10 string world?
There are some S10 C6th steels out there, too.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 8:42 am    

I can (and often DO) play my two Emmons push-pull U-12 guitars barefoot. A number of things (mostly shock springs and pedal return springs) can contribute to heavy action on a push-pull. A little shock spring is fine to even out pulls, but things can get stiff. Same goes for the spring that returns the pedal (front apron). I just minimized those and it plays like butter. It's a very simple machine. If adjusted properly, it is as solid as a rock. Tuning is also stable . . . and then there's that S O U N D and its presence in a room.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 9:11 am    

I have a single 12 pp universal, 7x5, set up by Bobby Bowman.
It plays as easy as any all pull I`ve played...

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 7:24 pm    

Pete, I have to say that nothing is as cool as playing bar leads on this guitar.. The tone breathes and is totally liquid and organic from top to bottom... A very fine example.
I really want to find a way to make it work for me. I know I will bond with it when it is right.

Larry, thanks for your input. Socks=perfect. I have read that an SD12 has easier action than a S12 simple due to distance between changer and finger offers better leverage on that higher deck.

Olie, since yours is single unit width, anyway you can send me a rodding diagram that covers off leverage and spring cushions and any gear downs? ... also string set gauge info? If too much work I understand.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 4:50 am    

Tom Gorr wrote:
Pete, I have to say that nothing is as cool as playing bar leads on this guitar...

I hear ya! (I took delivery of mine in Sept '82 and am looking at it right now Smile 'Love 'em).

Can you post or list the pedal/lever copedant so we can see how it is set up now?

Quick story, I played my single-body Emmons Push Pull S12U Jeff Newman E9/B6 7x4 for 10 years, on the average of 5 nights a week, 5-45min sets a night, before I ever went to a Steel Convention.
I went right over to Jeff Newman, who I spent a week with in '82, and said, Hey Jeff I bought an Emmons Push Pull S12U right after your class in '82.
The very first thing he said was, "I bet the pedals are stiff!". He had tried one, too.
I had no idea that there was any other pedal action, because I had no other Steel to play or try during that entire timeframe.

I once ran into a guy with an Emmons that had welded pedal extansions on each wide-pedal (about 2-inches longer).
It wasn't pretty, but that extra length really made the pedal action better by changing the fulcrom point.