The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speakers
George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 5:28 pm    

In your opinion is the JBL 2220B 15" speaker a good choice for Speaker Cabinets for use with Pedal Steel Guitar?

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 6:51 pm    

Nope... it's a bass speaker, designed specifically for driving a folded horn enclosure. Pretty much dies after 2kHz. Here's the tech specs:

http://lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/pro-comp/2220/page2.jpg

George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 7:04 pm    

Thank you..

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 7:17 pm    

I'd say it depends on the sound you're looking for. (Curly Chalker would probably have loved it.) I used bass speakers for years, both in an open cabinet, and in a sealed/ported enclosure, and they did what I wanted them to do. But if you're looking for the Emmons' "Black Album" sounds, they probably wouldn't work too well.

I'm pretty broad-minded where sound is concerned, in that I actually like different sounds and tones. For example, my newest pedal steel "practice amp" has just a 5" speaker! Cool

George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 7:35 pm    

Thank you...I was just wondering because I saw a Stereo Steel rig with Justice cabinets with JBL 2220B 15" speakers and was wondering if it would be a good sound or not. I do like the sound that Buddy got along with Jeff Newman, John Hughy etc.

George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 8:25 pm    

One more question...If I bought this Stereo Steel rig which has the JBL 2220B 15" 16ohm speakers, what would be the best Speakers to to replace the 2220B's?

Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 6:49 am     Jbl 16 Ohm Speakers

George, there is also the distinct possibility that someone may have previously had the JBLs you have now re-coned, so that you are not really working with what it appears. I would first want to verify that they are still 16 ohm speakers. It could be that if a recone job was done, they are now a more common 8 or 4 ohm voice coil. I agree that if those are still totally stock 16 ohm JBL 2220 speakers, you might want to have them reconed with different and more current cones and voice coil impedances, to make them more like the D130's or M131's or K130 series. That would definitely make them more compatible for steel guitar. Most all JBL speakers are great, it's just that the cone and voice coil selection designates the particular frequency range and application that they were best suited for. With the extremely large magnets that were used in most all of them, there should be little concern for anything else being a factor. Good luck, Sir! Roger Smile

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 8:57 am    

I have a pair of 2220 speakers reconed.Have to admit that these speakers have a wide range from high to low. I have them in Walker cabs. With the Stereo Steel rig it is very impressive. YMMV

George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 1:39 pm    

Thank you for the great info I will find out if they were re-coned....all I know right now is what it says on the speaker magnet...If I they need re-coned where do you recommend that I send them to be re-coned at 4-8 ohm and what are we talking $$ wise? Do you have Their Phone number? Thank you again I really appreciate the advice and help I'm new to all of this technical speaker stuff but learning. Which is best aluminum or paper cone or am I out in left field on that?

Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 1:55 pm     JBL speakers

George, don't hold me to this since I haven't had any recones done lately. I am thinking you can probably have them done for $150.00 range (each) plus shipping. I have seen the name Woody Woodell tossed around here on the forum quite a bit in the past. I think he lives near Nashville, Tenn. area, perhaps Hendersonville, Gallatin, Madison. I'll bet if you contact Steel Guitar Nashville, there are guys there that can turn you on to someone who recones in the Nashville, TN vicinity and/or whether Woody Woodell is still in business. I'm thinking I saw that he may have retired. Sorry, I can't be of any more help. Roger Smile

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 1:21 am    

In actual design the 2220 is very near the D/K/E130, with essentially the same magnet, voice coil, and cone, but with a paper dust cover rather than aluminum, which reduces high frequency response. The same cone kit can be used for either.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 3:31 am     Speakers

Do you know if these are the original speakers installed by GD Walker. The way he was able to offer vintage JBL speakers on a consistent basis was buying used ones and having them re-coned. You might want to check with GD before re-coning. They may have already been done. Plus GD was real particular in the sound of the speakers he used. He would not have used anything that he wouldn't have used himself.
OOPS! Just re-read your post. I thought you had Stereo Steel speaker cabinets, not just considering what speakers would sound good with that system. I have a Stereo Steel and an very happy with the Travis Toy TT-12.

Last edited by George Kimery on 16 Oct 2018 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 9:27 am    

George Frachiseur wrote:
One more question...If I bought this Stereo Steel rig which has the JBL 2220B 15" 16ohm speakers, what would be the best Speakers to to replace the 2220B's?

That you would buy the rig, do you like the way it sounds as is?

The word "best" would depend on your ears.

Everyone hears different so asking others for suggestions is still not all there is to it.

Then there is the cabinet itself. What it is made of, the dimensions, if it was designed for the specific speaker that is in there. Or it might just be serendipitous that someone lucked out on installing speakers that work with the cabinet, the amp and the guitar plugged into it.

A JBL E130 might be an alternative but in what cabinet and with what amp?