The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sacred Steel on E9
Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 9:16 am    

I was searching the archive for any info on playing Sacred steel type riffs and chops on E9 10-string PS tuning. Most recent was I think 2009. I probably missed some on my hasty search. I realize E7 is a better way to go, but was looking for E9 specifically.
You guys have any new examples, lessons, ideas, artist vids, or thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Brooks

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2018 4:09 am    

Sacred steel types normally tune the 7th string F# back to E.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 6:00 pm    

I use a 10-string version of E9/B6 Uni....minus the two bass strings....just the upper 10. My 9th string is a B which I pull to D on a KL just like a Uni. I also have a lock lever on the raise finger of #7....I tune the string to E, then use the lock to pull it up to F# for "normal" playing. When I release the lock, it goes to E. I have another rod that also pulls it back to F# when I lower my E's. When I raise the E's to F, #7 also goes to F. This gives me all major "wide" chords all the way up to the 3rd string. When I go pedals-down, it's still all major. When I use the F change with pedal 1, it's still all major. With open strings, I can pull #9 B to D and since I tune my 2nd string to D rather than D#, I wind up with a dom. 7th chord all the way up to string 2. If I pull the lock back on, the tuning reverts to E9th "short Uni". When I go pedals-down, the tuning becomes an A6th and I proceed to get all my "6th stuff" using standard E9 KL's for the changes. I can literally get everything but the BooWah on a 10-string E9th neck. I gave up playing double-neck guitars because I don't need them. BTW the Sacred Steel lock allows you to just lay in nice, full, wide chords behind the band in a subtle yet rich way. I use those chords behind a singer a lot.
PRR

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 6:44 pm    

Thanks Paul. I don't think I can do that on my guitar, but very detailed info--thanks.