The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Twin Reverb Mid-Range EQ
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 4:59 pm    

In a thread the other day someone made the comment that an amp without midrange control (like the Peavey NV) is inadequate for pedal steel, maybe not as directly as my statement here. But, it got me thinking about this Twin Reverb I'm about to get. I know it has a modified mids control. It has a 25k mid potentiometer, giving it a much wider amount of mids.

My questions are for folks who use Twin Reverb amps, or have. Is the stock EQ perfect? What would you change? Is a 15 or are 2-12s best; what are the pros and cons of each? Would a bigger midrange be positive?

Can't wait to get the amp, just wondering what folks think about this stuff.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 6:33 pm    

Rick, Bob Metzger tuned up and modded my '71 Twin, When I acquired it (2010 or so), I found that someone had added a knob on the back panel that had been disconnected somewhere along the way. Bob assumed it had been added as a master volume and then (wisely) removed. He added a mid range "slope" on that knob which allows the mids to be adjusted somewhat. Quite different from a from the parametric knob on NV 400s and such. I forget exactly how Bob explained its function to me, but I do adjust it for the room when I use the Twin.

To your original question, though: a Twin is voiced very well for steel. If I played loud enough gigs and could hire a roadie, I would choose it over a few other amps I love every time.

What vintage Twin? They changed a lot from the mid sixties through the early eighties.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 3:29 am    

don't overlook which speakers are in the Twin, some are very mid strong, some are not. The old Oxfords, way to mid strong for me, while the newer Fender Gold label Emmi's are bright with less mids. They are a tad bright at times. Amps can be the the same or similar but speakers are not.

My original stock 70 and 71 Twins came with two Oxfords, definitely not my favorite speakers ! Laughing

I now try to use the same speakers in all amps and cabinets, they are the Fender Gold Label Emmi's. certainly not the best but consistent from amp to amp. even my N112 has one of them. It changed the entire mid range profile.

Twins are great, everyone should have one or two ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 7:05 am     Re: Twin Reverb Mid-Range EQ

Rick Abbott wrote:
In a thread the other day someone made the comment that an amp without midrange control (like the Peavey NV) is inadequate for pedal steel, maybe not as directly as my statement here. But, it got me thinking about this Twin Reverb I'm about to get. I know it has a modified mids control. It has a 25k mid potentiometer, giving it a much wider amount of mids.

My questions are for folks who use Twin Reverb amps, or have. Is the stock EQ perfect? What would you change? Is a 15 or are 2-12s best; what are the pros and cons of each? Would a bigger midrange be positive?

The Nashville series (NV) DO have a midrange control along with a mid-shift control. The Nashville series was designed with the steel guitar in mind.

Josh Braun

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 7:14 am    

Although I'm currently running a Kemper, Twin Reverbs are pretty much my favorite steel amp (I have an old beat-up 72). I run a Travis Toy speaker in mine fwiw.

To answer your question, though - I find the stock EQ pretty much perfect. I generally run with everything in the middle (5), but will sometime boost bass/treble a bit. All depends on the room of course.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 8:02 am    

For me the benchmark Fender Twin steel sound is Lloyd Green on the Charlie Pride Live at Panther Hall recording. According to Lloyd he played a Sho-Bud Fingertip through a stock Fender Twin Reverb with orange JBLs. This influenced my choice of a Twin Reverb for my amp for 20 years. I have an Altec 418b (15") in mine but I would be fine with 2x12 as long as it was Altec or JBL speakers. In fact I like the way the 2x12 spread out the sound and you get that wonderful 3-D effect. A 1x15 is more focused. I think the stock treb - mid - bass setup is just fine.

Here's Lloyd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1rbySLbIfc

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 8:29 am    

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:
.....Bob Metzger.... added a mid range "slope" on that knob which allows the mids to be adjusted somewhat......

This sounds like a feature that Brad Sarno has on some of his preamps. It alters the range of frequencies (or the width ? ... I won't pretend to know this stuff), but basically changes the focus of the mid control.

A funny little anecdote---a number of years ago I got a much hacked SF Deluxe Reverb. No mid controls on the DR. I decided I had to have one (because...just because) and I replaced the fixed resistor in the circuit with a pot (a variable resistor) in the back of the amp. The mod worked as intended. Out of curiosity, I measured the pot in the position where it sounded the sweetest. The readout was exactly the value of the fixed resistor I had replaced.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 5:07 pm     Re: Twin Reverb Mid-Range EQ

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Rick Abbott wrote:

The Nashville series (NV) DO have a midrange control along with a mid-shift control. The Nashville series was designed with the steel guitar in mind.

Ha ha, Richard, you point out my poor English skills! I actually meant that to mean: "the Peavey HAS the mids control, unlike some other amps people try to use."

In my mind, as I wrote it, it sounded right. It's not. Muttering Embarassed

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 6:02 pm    

Tim Whitlock wrote:
For me the benchmark Fender Twin steel sound is Lloyd Green on the Charlie Pride Live at Panther Hall recording. According to Lloyd he played a Sho-Bud Fingertip through a stock Fender Twin Reverb with orange JBLs. This influenced my choice of a Twin Reverb for my amp for 20 years. I have an Altec 418b (15") in mine but I would be fine with 2x12 as long as it was Altec or JBL speakers. In fact I like the way the 2x12 spread out the sound and you get that wonderful 3-D effect. A 1x15 is more focused. I think the stock treb - mid - bass setup is just fine.

Here's Lloyd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1rbySLbIfc

This will sound insane but, until just now I have never listened to the Panther Hall recording! I'm almost ashamed to admit that. I now understand.

I have an Altec 418b. I assume it can't be pushed too hard in your Twin? I had already considered it for this amp, now it's a done deal. I have a Telonics 8ohm 12" that is in a cab. I think I'll put the Altec in the combo and use the Telonics when I need more volume and spread.

Do you use all four power tubes with your 418b? Mine is 8ohm, and I thought I might pull two of the power tubes to reduce the output 25-30% and align the output transformer to 8ohms.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2018 7:58 am    

Rick Abbott wrote:
This will sound insane but, until just now I have never listened to the Panther Hall recording! I'm almost ashamed to admit that. I now understand.

I have an Altec 418b. I assume it can't be pushed too hard in your Twin? I had already considered it for this amp, now it's a done deal. I have a Telonics 8ohm 12" that is in a cab. I think I'll put the Altec in the combo and use the Telonics when I need more volume and spread.

Do you use all four power tubes with your 418b? Mine is 8ohm, and I thought I might pull two of the power tubes to reduce the output 25-30% and align the output transformer to 8ohms.

The Altec 418b is rated at 100 watts. It's handled the output from my Twin just fine. I thought about getting a neo 15 but I just can't bring myself to give up the tone of the 418b. It is magic in a Twin, but I might have to try a neo to cut the weight down. It gets heavier every year.

I had my Twin modified with a switch that cuts out two of the 6L6s, which is nice for practicing or lower volume scenarios. Most of the time I use all four. It's a common mod for Twins. I also had it modded for 4 or 8 ohms impedence, reverb/trem on both channels and a tweed tone stack in the Normal channel. Good luck your new amp!

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2018 2:28 pm     Re: Twin Reverb Mid-Range EQ

Rick Abbott wrote:
I know it has a modified mids control. It has a 25k mid potentiometer, giving it a much wider amount of mids.

My questions are for folks who use Twin Reverb amps, or have. Is the stock EQ perfect?

If you look at the schematic for a standard Fender Blackface Twin tone stack, the Mid pot is a 10K linear pot that goes to ground. Increasing that value to 25K linear expands the range of the Mid control. The new pot from 1 to 4, approximately, covers the range of the 10K pot, then gives you enhanced Mids above that. The Mid pot on the Tweed Fenders was a 25K.

I actually prefer the option of more mid. If you don't like that much you can always turn it down. And also remember that the Mid control works with the Bass control, then that whole range is then balanced with the highs using the Treble control. It gives you a lot more options.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2018 5:10 pm     Re: Twin Reverb Mid-Range EQ

Rick Abbott wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:
Rick Abbott wrote:

Ha ha, Richard, you point out my poor English skills! I actually meant that to mean: "the Peavey HAS the mids control, unlike some other amps people try to use."

In my mind, as I wrote it, it sounded right. It's not. Muttering Embarassed

😂🤣 i figured that's what you meant.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2018 6:06 pm    

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:

What vintage Twin? They changed a lot from the mid sixties through the early eighties.

I know it's a master volume model, but year etc, I do not yet know.

This amp passed through my hands once about 15 years ago. It was cut down into a head, normal channel removed and replaced by reverb controls mix, tone and dwell. The mid pot replaced with 25k.

I had an old school Evans FET500 at the time and moved the twin on. The Evans was #49 of the first non-tube amps they made. Mr. Evans had #50. He said the first 50 were made with the chassis punched for tubes and they just covered the holes and put in the transistors. I should have never sold it...but gosh was it heavy!

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2018 7:45 pm    

Mids on a Twin can be your friend. I run mine at about 8.5, bass on 5 and treble on 3. Tube amps are entirely different from Solid State. Also keep in mind that just because mids get cut on a push-pull that doesn't mean every brand of guitar is set the same. Also Twin volumes should be around 4-5 as that makes the tubes work and gives you that sound you are looking for. It seems loud but work the volume pedal for the volume you want. Sometimes in smaller venues I use a Deluxe Reverb so I can push the volume. My Twin is a silver faced 1970 model with stock Fender speakers. My Deluxe is a 68 silverface re-issue with a factory Celestion.

Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 5:27 am     Twin Reverb

I have a ‘73 Dual Showman head, altered to blackface specs, a very common mod, which is essentially a 100 W Twin that weighs somewhat less than a combo. It does sound great and I pair it with a variety of cabs and speakers - another advantage of head-only. On the other hand, I have a Music Man HD130 head that has the half-power reduction built into the on/off switch as well as an impedance switch on the back to toggle between 4 and 8 ohms - somewhat different eq and very different reverb (shorter spring) than the Showman. I tried Paul Franklin’s recommendation to try Bill Lawrence’s advice to turn all the eq pots all the way up first and make adjustments by taking out frequencies - and I found it very effective. I find the impedance adjustment on the Sarno Black Box to be the go-to, quick fix mid-range adjustment in the middle of a set.
2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullens PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250
banjo......and way too much more

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 9:51 pm    

[quote="Craig A Davidson"]Mids on a Twin can be your friend. I run mine at about 8.5, bass on 5 and treble on 3.
That's where mine sounds the best! Definitely the heaviest thing I own, but still the one I take out! Smile

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 4:14 am    

I run my '69 Dual Showman Reverb with the same EQ settings as Craig into a Fox cab with a 70's white EV SRO 15" ceramic speaker.A couple other cabs with a Sica 15" and EPS 15C in each, but the EV seems to be the one..

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 1:08 pm    

I really appreciate the comments on this. I'm really looking forward to getting this amp.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2018 11:04 am    

I have been running my Twin Reverb tone controls very low lately, which allows you to run the volme knob much higher withought blowing your head off.
Turn all tone knobs to zero, and turn the volume knob up to 7-8, then carefully/slowly bring the tone knobs up from zero and dial in a tone with the knobs between 0-3 or so.
This has worked well at gigs lately for me.
I find the Twin sounds better when I play with the volume pedal closer to wide open, too.