The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  70's Emmons Amp Please close.
Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 3:53 pm    

There is an 70's Emmons amp in good condition for sale locally. 2x12 SRO Alnico speakers. Standel? Your opinions matter to me. Please advise. Price is right, weight is substantial.

Last edited by Robert Murphy on 18 Sep 2018 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 4:26 pm    

I owned the same Emmons steel amp. Bought it brand new from Marrs Music in Maryland in 1972. It had super shiny plastic chromed knobs, a large Emmons plastic logo like the ones on their guitars. black grill and black tolex, lots of power, terrible reverb and a penchant for blowing output transistors on a regular basis. Sold it soon after getting it and got a Fender Twin with jbls. That was moving on up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 2:06 am    

definitely looks to be built by standel based on the knobs and chassis layout.

depending on the price you might be getting a deal for those sro's if they are the coffee can ones. your back won't thank you, and tone is in the ear of the beholder for transistorized standels.

for what it's worth, standel cabinets seem to be great sounding cabs. i house my twin reverb in a standel cab with a single 15.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 5:39 am    

It was made by Standel. When I was the amp tech at Little Roy Wiggin's music store in Nashville, I had a schematic for the amp. The way the schematic was drawn was exactly how a Standel amp schematic was drawn (and same part numbers).

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 5:24 pm    

I have one with one 15" JBL K130.

Maybe the 2 X 12 configuration were for six stringer's use and those with single 15" JBL were for steel (?)

I got mine a couple of years ago in package deal and have only spent time with it doodling in rehearsal room.

You'll notice Two Inputs - Normal and Tremolo (further speculation the amp's head was to be for Steel as well as six stringer's use)

"Normal input" has Contour, Treble and Bass / but no reverb. Not sure what 'Contour' is for (?) - maybe early attempt at what Peavey amps had later on.

"Tremolo input" has Contour, Reverb, Treble, Bass, Intensity and Speed (last two apparently for use when six stringer's used Tremolo).

Amp really projects and has good solid state type tone.

I suggest you give the one you're looking at a ride before taking the plunge.

In the 'Ask Buddy' section of the BE website, Buddy says he was aware of these amps, but was not directly involved

I'm interested in more history of these amps if anyone has any.

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 5:29 pm    

Thanks gentleman but I am going to pass on this one.