The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bought a Sho-Bud S10. - Thoughts on George L vs 705 pickup
Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2018 12:27 pm    

I bought a S10 Sho-Bud today. I guess it is a late Pro 1 because the undercarriage looks like a Super Pro. (Late 1970s).

It is way lighter than my laquered MSA D10 Classic. It is taking some getting used to. The LKL raises the Es. I went to raise the Es and moved the guitar about 4" to the left. I need to learn some control or put sandbags around the legs. Laughing The MSA would have never budged. But the weight is why I wanted a S10.

The pedals are more sensitive. You don't touch the pedals unless you want pitches to change. The MSA has more 'slack' and the changer doesn't really do anything unless you consciously push. I think I will like the Sho-Bud better once I am used to how it responds. Pedaling should be more responsive.

It's a 3+3. I would like a 4th knee lever added and it would be good if the Copedent was the same as the E9 neck on the MSA less the its 5th knee lever. The Sho-Bud has a George L pickup.

The seller suggests I put a Bill Lawrence 705 in it when I have the knee lever added. I don't know The George L doesn't sound bad. I think I like it better than the MSA SuperSustains in my other guitar. Any thought on pickups?

Thanks

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2018 5:21 pm    

I just put a 705 in my LDG (so I'd have a guitar with a 'bucker), and I like it fine! Lots of ways to hook it up so you have single coils, too, but I haven't done that yet. Lots of info here..do a search... I like it!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2018 1:52 am    

I probably concur, but which George L?

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2018 5:30 am    

I don't know. Do I have to pull the pickup to find out? I didn't realize the 705 is tapped so you can do splits, coil taps or series/parallel switching. I never thought of that I don't know why ... I've done that in a lot of six strings.
Fender Telecaster Guitars

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2018 5:41 am    

Several Georges are good, but they often suppress the envelope.
But the switchability and classic tone of the 705 have an edge.

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2018 7:35 pm    

I am not a fan of George L pickups in Sho Buds. Mine had one installed when I bought it. It really didn’t have the “ Sho Bud” sound to me. I quickly replaced it with a Wallace Tru Tone wound with the split coil. Now it sounds like a Bud!!

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2018 9:17 pm    

Personal opinion, but it beats me why anyone would want to split a 705 for single-coil operation. All the benefit of single-coil hum with tinny tone. I realize old recordings we love have some mighty thin, trebly tones, but would those players have chosen that sound (with attendant hum) if they'd had a choice?

I love the way a 705 sounds as is, and to my taste it has plenty of highs.
Again, PERSONAL OPINION. YMMV. Smile

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2018 11:53 pm    

My LDG had a Geo.L 10-5 in it when I bought it. I swapped it for a TT (with a split ), and love the sound of the TT, (but never used the split). I play some honky tonks that have dimmers and half burnt out beer signs above the stage, so I got the 705 , and use it as a humbucker only. Love the sound of the 705, and know I'd never use the split, so I haven't wired it in. I do run it pretty far below the strings. Sounds great and chimes clear and loud! Thinking about getting one for my Emmons..

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2018 9:10 pm    

Jason Putnam wrote:
I am not a fan of George L pickups in Sho Buds. Mine had one installed when I bought it. It really didn’t have the “ Sho Bud” sound to me. I quickly replaced it with a Wallace Tru Tone wound with the split coil. Now it sounds like a Bud!!

Exactly...

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 12:01 am    

I'm curious. Does anyone sell rewound or reconditioned Sho~Bud pickups? Are the Wallace pickups based on the original specs? The originals to my ear have simply an amazing sound and feel.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 4:16 am    

Steve Sycamore wrote:
I'm curious. Does anyone sell rewound or reconditioned Sho~Bud pickups? Are the Wallace pickups based on the original specs? The originals to my ear have simply an amazing sound and feel.

Nothing out there will duplicate the sound of an original Sho bud pickup.. The Truetone probably comes closest.. Don't know if he's still building pickups these days..

You can get the original ohm readings from a member here, and any pickup rewinder out there can rewind any used Bud pickup to close to factory specs..
Old bud pickups are not hard to find on this forum.. Lots of them still around in junk boxes.
The problem with a LOT of original Bud pickups is they become microphonic, noisy, weak, etc over time, and need to be rewound.. To my ears the rewinds do not sound as sweet as the originals, but are still better sounding than a modern humbucker by far... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 4:23 am    

There's a guy on ebay (he's posted here on the forum too) who has NOS Sho-Bud stuff. He has pickups listed, usually at about $110 each. IIRC he's out of Atlanta.

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 8:28 am    

I think this is that guy's ebay store. 3 pickups listed right now:

http://www.ebaystores.com/Gear-Guy-Guitar-Drum-Cymbal-Gear/Sho-Bud-Pedal-Steel-/_i.html?_fsub=4282798011&_sid=576311581&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 8:58 am    

Sometimes Jerry will rewind Sho-Bud pickups, and sometimes he only rewinds his, and makes his own.
But if you tell him you want to sound like a Bud, he'll make you something close.
I think Jason Lollar will, but he's both expensive and always got a waiting list.
If I had the time and money, I'd go to New Mexico and get Jerry to teach me before he retires. I've had several of his

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 3:35 am    

I’ve been playing D10 push-pulls for the last 20 years or so but, strictly on a whim, threw an LDG in the car and used it last Saturday night. It was good playing C6th tunes on a single neck. Had to really concentrate.

Anyway, the LDG has its stock pickup in it. Now, I cut my steel guitar teeth 4 decades ago on a Super Pro and it was great fun going back to the “Bud” feel and sound. Got a Lot of compliments from those in the audience and the band. Hmmm, is there a message there for me?