The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New member and help requested
Bruce W. Roberts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2018 6:34 pm    

O.K. Here goes. If this post is too long for the forum, I completely understand. I am a new member. Also if I am posting in the wrong area for this, please advise.

Background:

1. Played guitar and bass on and off my whole life (I am 55). Have a good ear for music but have never read music nor tablature.
2. Played steel for 2 years. However, last played 20 years ago!
3. Got to where I could play in church and provide decent accompaniment. Single-neck Sho-Bud with E9 tuning. Didn’t “graduate” to the level of playing whole songs but was close. Sold out a little over 20 years ago due to time constraints.
4. As a surprise, the church I now attend and help in bought me a steel Guitar. I was completely shocked by this. It is a GFI Expo E-9 with arm pad. Understand, this was purchased by people who know nothing of a steel. And I personally know nothing about GFI Expo’s.
5. So with that and a Goodrich pedal and cords, I am now looking at what in the world I do.

Questions:

1. Need some type of amp set-up. I currently have an old Randall 210 Commander (1979) with dual speakers that, believe it or not, I practiced with the original steel over 20 years ago. The amp is in the shop now. I used to use it to play my Gibson ES-345 TDC my father bought in 1968. The Gibson still plays like a dream.
2. Just looking for a good amplifier that could get some type of decent all-around sound out of the GFI. Again, I assume this GFI is kind of like an off-the-shelf beginner. I have read on this forum about the EMINENCE PF-350 speaker but have no idea what type of amp to put it in!
3. The second thing is just trying to get started. I have no idea if anything will come back to my memory. Just looking for good starting courses. I feel obligated to give it a try since folks were kind enough to offer this gesture. Nowadays I know of no one local that could get a guy started. (I live in southern Indiana).

I will say that of the instruments I have played, the steel guitar was by far my favorite. It was a bit overwhelming the best I can remember. Now I am older and had no plans to learn another instrument (other than a Wechter-Sheerhorn Dobro I never got around to learning) but now those plans have changed. Oh well, my poor wife will hear the sounds of aggravation coming from my basement man cave as I question my sanity as a 55 year-old novice (again) steel guitar player.

Well, this is my story. Kind of not knowing where to go from here. I appreciate any words of wisdom. I apologize for posting what, no doubt, you have all seen a thousand times. Thanks in advance.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2018 7:12 pm    

My suggestion would be to try whatever amp you already have with the guitar, it may work and sound fine. Keep in mind that there's really no consensus on what speaker will work best for a certain player in a certain amp, it's all very subjective. Get back up to speed with your playing, first, then worry later about speakers, pickups, and all the other little details.

Playing isn't really about what you use, it's about what you can do with it. Cool

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2018 7:39 pm    

The GFI Expo is not a beginner/student model, but a full professional changer and undercarriage.
I want to say that Randall was sorta a solid state answer to the Fender Twin, so you might be able to get a good sound out of it. Turn the amp up, pick good and strong, and use the volume pedal to throttle it back.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 3:30 am    

My story is very much like yours as far as the 20 or so year absence from PSG I just started back about 4 years ago after about 20 years away. You will probably get as many opinions as there are members here but Donny and Lane are dead on start with baby steps what you have will work for now. There is a HUGE amount of help in what and how to play here on the forum and on line. Enjoy your trip into the PSG don't get to deep to fast learn at your pace and ask questions. If you have any PSG teachers or players in your area meet them and ask for help but above all HAVE FUN.

Barry

Bruce W. Roberts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 4:14 am     Thanks

For all the tips. Glad to know the GFI is s decent PSG. Hopefully, there is someone close to me that can get me kick-started.

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 4:59 am    

I've just started playing recently. There are tons of resources on youtube - plenty to get you started.
Troy Brenningmyers arrangement of Amazing Grace is nice and quite easy to play - might get you something you can use in church right away. His stuff isn't free but you may be able to figure it all out just from the part of the lesson posted on youtube.
Free stuff that is quite good includes all of Mickey Adams lessons. Definitely check those out. Mickey does a great job of teaching both songs and theory together.
I have enjoyed the 3 videos that Jim Bob Gairrett has put out.
For right hand technique, go to the Sierra Steel Guitars site and look for the lessons they posted - it's Joe Wright and while it's all exercises rather than learning songs, he really seems to do a good job on right hand technique.
Finally, for all kinds of technique building, the Winnie Winston book Pedal Steel Guitar is awesome. I've got Red River Valley down pretty well at this point and while it's not a song I'd play live, it is a very thorough technique building exercise.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 5:37 am     p.s.g

bruce,
good advice here on the forum. welcome to the crazy world of pedal steel. which part of Indiana do you live??. lot of good players in Indiana. if i can be of help let me know. lot's of good video's on youtube

p.w

Gary Patterson

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 5:47 am    

On this very forum, go to the Steel Guitar on the Web section, and at the top find a "sticky" for Beginners. Great resources available there.

Bruce W. Roberts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 6:18 am    

I live in Bedford Indiana. Thanks.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 6:35 am    

I have a good amp for you...PM Me..Smile
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!