The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A funny Tom Morrell story
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 12:13 am    

Many years ago I was playing in a few bands out of Austin Texas In the mid 70's for some reason the great Tom Morrell would always come by when we came to Dallas to play ,mostly he would sit in on 6string guitar when the Milton Carroll band would play in Dallas, Tom liked hanging out with us weed smoking hippies.One time Tom subbed for me because I couldn't be in two places at the same time,So Tom went to Fayetteville Arkansas with the Milton Carroll band,The Library club.I was told that a guy named Junior who was about 400 Lbs wearing overalls came to the front of the stage and wanted to hear "Steel guitar Rag"Tom told Junior that he was sorry but didn't know "Steel guitar Rag"I guess this went on for a few minutes...once again Junior stood in front of Tom pulled out his wallet took out a hundred dollar bill put it on the steel guitar,Tom counted 1,2,3and played"Steel Guitar Rag",I asked the guys in the band if Tom split the $100?No way!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 5:15 am    

Love my buddy Milton!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 5:58 am    

Not about Steel, but it reminds me of a guy in Vegas who has been doing a "Dueling Pianos" gig for decades and cleans up every night. They take requests (as long as there is money attached) but if you don't like the tune, you can tip more and they will stop that song and do your song.

They really clean up with college fight songs. I watched him collect $100 a song for people tipping to stop one college fight song and playing theirs. These guys must have split thousands each night.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 5:59 am    

John,Yes Milton me and Dubin booth played steel together in Milton's band,Sometimes I would grab the Tele'one time we pulled up to Milton's to leave for a road trip I asked Milton where his pet goat was?He just rubbed his belly!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 6:40 am    

Quote:
a guy named Junior who was about 400 Lbs wearing overalls

Was his last name Samples?

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 10:29 am    

I know of an instance where John Gotti or a close associate...ahem...paid the bandleader a benjamin not to play Wind Beneath My Wings. I forget where. You wouldn't think he'd need to pay.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 11:02 am    

Mike,I read after Sammy the bull Gravano went to prison that they brought James Toney into the prison for an Exhibition fight ,They had to pull Sammy the Bull off of Toney who was in fear for his life!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 6:40 pm    

John Macy wrote:
Love my buddy Milton!

"...jukebox played those songs they made on pedal steel guitar..."

Tom Middleton

Austin, Texas, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2018 1:52 pm    

Damn I miss Morrell.

Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks