The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Topic, Using Gloves.
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 5:38 pm    

How many of you are so particular about their guitar that they will use a pair of gloves to set up their guitar. I do so I don't leave finger prints on any polished aluminum surfaces or on my guitars beautiful wood finish. I don't like the oil from my skin to tarnish the polished aluminum. I know, it sounds anal. I did have some idiot set a glass of beer on my LDG years ago. Was like backing his butt into a running buzz saw!!!! I use the cheap rubber coated one. They work great for flipping my Super Pro in and out of the case without my hands slipping.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 5:49 pm    

I do for sure, also helps keep your hands from getting nicks and cuts from sharp edges and preserves the polished aluminum from getting "etched" from acidic skin. The late Gene Pooler, steel player for Johnnie Lee Wills, never touched his guitar while setting it up without gloves on. He also refused anyone wanting to "touch it or run their hands over it"! Nothing wrong with being particular. Finger prints and hand prints on the pedal bar and endplates are off limits on mine.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 7:53 pm    

Smile Smile Smile Smile

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 7:28 am    

In the Winter time, I use chopper mitts. Very Happy
Erv

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 8:46 am    

I wear white cotton gloves in the summer to lift or move my guitars by the end plates. They are very cheap to buy, and I always have a pair in my steel seat.

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 8:53 am    

It’s a good idea to wear gloves when playing too. It keeps the perspiration and fingerprints of the strings, the fretmarker and the changer! I wonder what we can do to keep the pollutants in the air we breathe from oxidizing the metal parts and the lacquer? Sad

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 8:55 am    

I was taught to never pick up your guitar by the end plates. Right hand over to the front apron (guitar logo area), left hand on back apron (key head area). That wouldn't keep body oil off of the wood, but it decreases the chance of getting it on the end plates.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 9:04 am    

Brian,
Everybody knows that you hold your breathe when you play. Rolling Eyes
Erv

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 9:30 am    

Thank you Erv. I coud prevent the pollutants by wearing the small white mask I use when using the polishing wheel. I have a spare one.

Roger, how do you keep the fingerprints and body oils off the bar, the fretmarker, the strings, and the changer ? Inquiring minds just got to know!

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 9:44 am    

Well, at times it sounds like I PLAY wearing gloves - thick ones! Laughing

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 9:47 am    

Don I think if you use the cheap thin rubber one like Kevin does, you may notice a difference in your sound. Wink

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 9:49 am    

Brian, the post was directed more toward not picking up a guitar by the end plates!

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 9:52 am    

Roger, what’s the point of having spotless end plates when everything else gets polluted and needs cleaning!

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 10:12 am    

Brian Henry wrote:
Don I think if you use the cheap thin rubber one like Kevin does, you may notice a difference in your sound. Wink

OK, I'll try that. My wife will be happy to get her oven mitts back. Wink

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 11:02 am    

Why don't you guys just wear one of these when you play, and get it over with?
Better yet, just rent a Biodome, that way both you and your guitars are protected...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 12:03 pm    

With some guitars, that's...uhh...not an issue. Mr. Green

`

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 2:29 pm    

Brian, the post is directed at not lifting/moving your guitar by the end plates for, as I'm told, structural stress, not getting them contaminated. I don't care what extremes you go to to protect the finish. I'm just passing along a suggestion on moving your guitar other than by the end plates.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 3:22 pm    

Quote:
I was taught to never pick up your guitar by the end plates

Roger, who taught you that? In my entire career no one has ever suggested to me how to carry my steel. The old Sho-Buds and Bigsbys had cabinet handles at the ends for that very purpose. Other instruments like the old Fender 400/1000 had cutouts in the frame for doing so, etc. etc. Carry your steel however you want - there isn't any protocol advocating not using the end plates that I've ever heard about..

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 3:37 pm    

Never have lifted guitar by the endplates. Always the front and back aprons. My old age belly seems to get in the way a little more then it did years ago. Oh boy, do ever miss playing where they are having a pig roast!!! Now all I get is county fair corn doggys!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile

Jim Goins

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 3:57 pm    

Kevin, you sure know how to get these guys wound up, I just keep a polishing cloth and wipe it down when I am done playing, including strings. Jim Goins. Razz

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 4:21 pm    

I'll not mention a name, but a well respected Nashville player.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 6:40 pm    

I'm a firm believer that a person is free to do whatever he/she wants with their personal property. We're all different and who is to say what's "right"?

That said, some of this discussion reminds me of some of the guys in Corvette circles who refuse to take their car out of the garage if there is the slightest chance of rain - as if they will melt! Others, of course, simply turn on the wipers.

If I get a couple fingerprints on my instrument, I either ignore them, or get out my cloth and make a quick wipe. Neither my Stage One nor my Rains seem any the worse for the smudges.

YMMV.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 7:40 pm    

Ever see"The Blade"?

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 9:08 pm    

During its 34 years of ownership, Buddy Emmons “blade” survived his many legendary fingerprints. He did not regard the Blade as a “museum piece” but as a machine to produce the most magnificent sound.

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 2:22 am    

Like all devices that are a means to an end PSGs are nothing more than tools to be used by the operator.I can't honestly believe people would want to handle them with gloves.
I think marks and dings and scratches add a mojo to any tool along its journey of useage.IMHO it is almost an OCD issue to handle with gloves and must surely detract from the freedom of playing ,where looking after the guitar is more important than playing it.
Even the distressed look of electric guitars is now the fashion and Fender etc.are issuing road worn instruments.Not my bag .........id rather put my own honest wear and tear on my guitars wether it be my Tele or Mullen .....its part of life and being human.