The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shoes for pedal steel
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 7:38 am    

Has anyone tried "water shoes" as your playing shoes for PSG? Looks promising to me, kind of like less expensive moccasins.

https://smile.amazon.com/TIANYUQI-Mens-Mesh-Water-Shoes/dp/B07BCGCBNQ?ref=bit_aa_spotlight_deal&tag=amz-mkt-saf-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-mac00-other-smile-us000-gatwy-feature-LDSLC

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 3:58 pm    

They look comfy, however old habits are hard to break! Smile

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 4:04 pm    

Nice Boots

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 4:11 pm    

John, I tried something similar...but prefer to play barefoot or in socks. My feet sweat horribly in synthetic footwear! More power to ya if you can get away with it.

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 4:34 pm    

I just went to New Balance shoes. After wearing boots all
my life my neuropathy in my feet are making me change!
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 5:14 pm    

John, I don't know if you wear true moccasins, or something with a harder sole, but if you do, check these out. I don't wear them for steel (although I have occasionally). I use them for just casual shoes around town or when working on boats. They have a soft, flexible rubber sole and mesh uppers, so like a synthetic moccasin.

https://www.amazon.com/LOUECHY-Walking-Breathable-Loafers-8701-43/dp/B01G7AR25M/ref=sr_1_2

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 5:16 pm    

Over 35 years playing without shoes. I use a double wall sock on my left foot. Sounds crazy but if you check it out you will find a few more of us are barefoot players. I never could feel the rocking motion I wanted to feel with a shoe on. Seen a PSG player on the CMA awards years ago with a suit and tie playing bare foot, no socks at all. Wish I could remember who it was. Seen Sarah Jory playing with what looked like spiked heels on her boots!!!

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 8:27 pm    

John they look like a winner to me if the soles aren't too thick to feel things enough. And they don't look ridiculous like some of those water shoes. RP

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 7:25 am    

You can't beat genuine Woose moccasins!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 4:32 pm    

Douglas, those look pretty good. I can only wear Apex ortho shoes for any period of walking around, to cure aches and pains in my right ankle. Currently wearing fluorescent lime green or electric blue Champion sneakers for teaching via Skype, very easy to see on my student's laptop screens, very thin sole, I got so used to these, that my prior leather "playing shoes" don't work anymore!

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Gusto-Cross-Trainer-Regular/dp/B01M6C9NCW/ref=sr_1_97_sspa?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1536193912&sr=1-97-spons&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=champion+sneakers+men&psc=1

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 6:24 pm    

It’s interesting that some play barefoot. I just tried it today with a sock on and it hurt with my pedals. Are some pedals smoother or easier to depress?

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 7:00 pm    

(Ooops. Double post)

Last edited by Ken Boi on 6 Sep 2018 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 7:23 pm    

Barefoot would hurt. I may try moccasins. I never thought of that. I wear black lace up dress shoes.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 2:35 am    

I never could play as well in cowboy boots. Leather uppers restricted ankle rocking movements more than I cared for. I tried and tried, but no dice. For me, comfort and playability above all else.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 4:01 am    

Larry Allen,Why don't you post a picture of those cool slip on tennies!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 5:20 am    

Ken Boi wrote:
It’s interesting that some play barefoot. I just tried it today with a sock on and it hurt with my pedals. Are some pedals smoother or easier to depress?

I play barefoot. On my Mullen, the action is so light it's hardly even noticeable. On my old MSA, it's heavier, but I don't seem to mind.

--Al Evans

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 5:54 am    

Larry Allen,Why don't you post a picture of those cool slip on tennies!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 11:38 am    

HI Stu..long time no see!..these are in my rehearsal room shoes..got them in a little shoe store in Hawaii going out of business in the 70’s..lots of comments from the cowboys on the band!
: Laughing

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 11:43 am    

When I'm at home, I play in anything that's close to me, such as, mocassins, slippers, sneakers, whatever. It doesn't matter to me. When I play a job, I always play in cowboy boots. I always have and always will, except, if it's real hot and the band is playing in shorts, summer clothes. Then, I really like Merrill's Jungle Mocs. They're very comfortable and with a semi firm sole.
However, I never play barefooted or with socks only. I don't like the feel of my foot on the pedals. And, I play a Zum so the pedal pressure is very, very easy.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 11:55 am    

I wore boots and played with boots on for years, but I'm diabetic and have had to go to diabetic shoes. It sure took some getting used to.

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 12:52 pm    

Deck shoes or cowboy boots

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 3:03 pm    

socks,,,,with a rubber sole,,,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FFS9WLL/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07FFS9WLL&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=4b9303cf-595a-449a-b0d6-15d3b199056d&pf_rd_r=1YNP9CWDWSQNAKP2FHMY&pd_rd_wg=5zKNJ&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=SQ1SB&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=f155fbb8-b228-11e8-a16e-f165ee31ead5

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 11:41 pm    

Larry,Those are the ones,Awesome!

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2018 7:18 am    

Some good ideas here. Currently for myself, since I am not playing out as yet and don't have a vanity issue, I use my trusty L.L. Bean slippers. They sure are comfy.

I could, but have some trouble playing with my Skecher's sport shoes which are a bit unwieldy.

[/img]

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2018 9:57 am    

These work well