The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I think I have royally screwed up!
Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 7:14 pm    

I was cleaning the rollers while changing the strings and I dropped the entire set on the floor. I had no hope of putting them back in the order they were in, and now the buzzing issue at the first fret is almost unbearable. I did some research on here, and I know they are gauged on a BMI.

Now what?

Any way you can think of to restore order to these rollers, or should I just bite the bullet and order another set?

I'm really hoping someone has a way to figure out which is which...

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 8:03 pm    

Try lining them all up- shallowest to deepest- take out #'s 7 and 4 and put them as 1 and 2 and that will get you close. Fortunately the E9th "ramp" is pretty even and you shouldn't get in much trouble until the 1st and 2nd strings and you shouldn't be having the bar over them anyway unless you're playing them so you should be good.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 11:07 pm     I think I have royally screwed up

I would suggest giving BMI a call or send them an E-Mail, Ask them for the diameter of the groves in the nut rollers in order, Strings 1 to 10. Then take a dial caliper and measure the groves on the rollers you have an put them in order by Grove diameter, Then reinstall them into your guitar.
Good Luck in getting the steel's Nut Rollers back where it should be and back to happy steelin.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 12:53 am    

Jim, is that a typo? Wouldn't you take out #s 2 & 4?

Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 6:14 am    

As soon as I change strings next I'll see if I can figure out which is which... one of those times I wish I could turn back time.

Thank you!!!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 10:17 am    

Landon - I sent you a private message.

Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 6:08 am     Great news!!! And a HUGE bonus!

Greetings!

I have reorganized the little rollers in to what seems like the right order and it is so much better! Thanks for all the suggestions!

While I was rooting around in the undercarriage, I noticed that LKR (lowers E) seemed a bit wonky as far as the crossbar is concerned - I discovered that the pivot points were misaligned!

One pivot point was on the changer side of the bar and the other was on the keyhead side of the bar! I loosened the little square plate on the front of my BMI, pulled the bushing out of one hole and put it in the other; now it rotates in-plane. A small find in itself (as the steel played just fine) but wait! There's more!

I discovered that my LKR has a sort of stop in it, where if I move it to the right halfway the upper E (#4) goes down the half-step, but if I move it to the right a little further it goes down another half step and gives me a 7th!

The lower E does not have the stop - it goes down a whole step only now - no half stop.

Does any of this make sense??? Oh - it's a BMI S-10 3 an 3

Also, how do I adjust the stop pressure on string 4? I mean, there is a little 'glitch' there, but I'd like a harder 'wall' to push against for the extra half step.

I'm gonna miss the half step on the 8th string a little but I'm gonna love not having to use RKL to get that seventh on string 2.

What an eye opener!