The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anita Stapleton's album
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 8:24 am    

I recently bought Anita Stapleton's album on iTunes which was released in 2015 apparently. It's really well recorded and has excellent song choices. I've been playing it almost non-stop and it's one of those that makes you want to play along, which I've been doing. There are a few YouTube videos of her and if classic country was more popular these days she'd certainly be a big seller...just a great voice.
Does anyone know who plays steel on her album? I know Mike Johnson has worked with her at times but I'm not really hearing his licks on this. At any rate it's beautiful playing.

Tom Vollmer

Hamburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 6:30 am     Album Credits

Bill,
I had the pleasure to back Anita in the last year or so at Lebanon Pa . She is originally from Central Pa. The album was cut in Dirk Johnson's Studio Nashville. Dirk who plays keyboard on Bill Anderson RFD shows, along with Mike Johnson, I do not think they are related, are on the album. Also Sonny Garrish/ John Hughey/ on Steel, David Smith /Jimmy Carter, on Bass, Gene Christman and Eddy Anderson Drums, Gregg Galbraith on Lead Guitar, Ben Hall/ Bruce Watkins/Joel Key on Acoustic Guitar, Gail Johnson on Fiddle.
Also John Wesley Riles,Liana Manis and Anita on
Backup Vocals.
I also think it is a great Album and recommend it.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 6:31 pm    

Thanks for the info Tom. I am surprised forumites aren't all over this Anita Stapleton album. Everyone's always beefing about the lack of real country being released and this gal is the real deal, plus the recording and instrumentation are wonderful. If John Hughey played on the project it must have been a long while in the making. I am very familiar with Dirk Johnson from seeing him on the Country Family Reunion series. ...didn't realize he had a studio.
Anita's version of ' Someone Had to Teach You ' is hands down my all time favorite. There's something unique about her phrasing.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2018 8:01 am    

Thats some real country music. Great artist.