The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Win 10 Fall Upgrade planned for October
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 6:09 am    

FWIW, the next Win 10 "upgrade" is planned for October.

I get the "Windows 10 Insider" advanced versions. I have mostly what the Fall Upgrade will be and it hasn't "broken" anything. However, I have recent Win 10 compatible hardware (i7 6700K CPU). There will (most likely) be problems for some with older hardware and some may not even get the upgrade if the hardware is not compatible.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2018 11:39 am    

I think I got one over Labor Day. My computer was on my login page when I turned it on. When I signed on, it said "preparing your computer". When it finally came up, my wifi no longer worked. I can't even get the ethernet to work. Wifi/router works fine. There is one other computer, 3 tablets, 2 phones that all work, so I am pretty sure it is not the router. Hopefully there is a previous restore point available.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2018 12:27 pm    

That wasn't the upgrade. I got that too but don't remember what it did (but didn't cause any problems for me).

For your problem, go to the Device Manager. Uninstall those devices (DO NOT uninstall the driver). Then restart the PC and when Windows starts it should detect and install them. See if this helps.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2018 6:28 pm    

Thanks Jack. I went into Device Manager earlier, and was able to fix it. I had actually gone in there many times over the last few days. But, I didn't go in as an administrator. Everytime it would ask me to type in the admin's password, but activating wouldn't work. Going into device manager as the admin worked, at least for now.