The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best Lightweight Practice amp
Bowie Martin

Wilson, NC USA 27896
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 12:37 pm    

Looking for a lightweight steel practice amp. Have I have Nashville 112, but sure would to find something lighter. Use a Profex II. Any ideas? Thanks.

Joshua Clements

Tifton, Georgia.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 7:10 pm    

When I'm at the house and just practicing chops, sometimes I will use a little Pignose amp. They don't have much head room, but I play with it beside me and don't get too loud. I have also used a Fender Pro Jr. at times. Neither are the best Steel amps, but they are lightweight, affordable, and let you play around the house.

Jerry Knapper

Lakeland, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 3:15 pm     Practise amp

I wouldn't sell mine, but I have a BFX15 Crate bass amp that works great. It has an effects possessor in it and is sufficiently loud enough. Very light weight.
Only problem is they are harder to find, but are out there. Crate made a 25 watt one also that is a bit heavier, but lighter than the 112. Good luck.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 8:32 pm    

I'm using the DV Mark Little Jazz. 45 watts, weighs about 15 lbs. and sounds great.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/DV-Mark/Little-Jazz-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

Gary Sill

Mt. Zion, IL, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 5:56 pm     you might consider the Trace Elliott Elf amp

1.6 lbs. , 200 watts, direct out and headphone out. Also have a 16 lb. Trace Elliott 16 lbs. speaker.

All new equipment, sounds wonderful on steel, can use it on jobs also. Plenty of power.

Call to discuss.

I am coming out with a demo video playing this unit on a Mullen RP.

Gary Sill
Sill Music Supply
www.sillmusicsupply.com
217-433-7455

A beautiful Laquer Mullen G2, 2 Nashville 112's, Evans 10" R150 Amp,1982 Emmons Push Pull D-10, Hilton Pedals, 12/8 MSA Superslide, Green LDG Sho-Bud-Owned by Lloyd, S-6 Fender 1956 Lap. , Gretsch Country Gentleman, red Gibson 2019, ES 335, Quilter, Gretsch Resonator, Eastman Mandolin

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 7:40 pm     Best lightweight practice amp

A slightly different route to go is a Katana head. It has a 5" speaker built in that is plenty good enough for practice. Plus, it is selectable 5 , 50, or 100 watfs. With an extension cabinet, you have a serious contender for gigs. I have one, along with a Stereo Steel and an Evans pre-amp and it can hold it's own against both of them. The head weighs about 20 LB and is loaded with features. Sells for about $350.00