The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  David Jackson new style string
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 9:50 am    

Brand new too the market for pedal steel. David has new strings hitting the market for pedal steel that gives the sound all steel players have been searching for. When you change your wound strings with David’s new patented strings get ready for sustain like you won’t belive. Zane King an Robert Randolph already our useing these strings An are very happy campers.

Last edited by Johnie King on 31 Aug 2018 5:28 pm; edited 5 times in total

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 9:53 am     Re: David Jackson new string invention

Johnie King wrote:
Brand new too the market for pedal steel. David has a new string hitting the market for pedal steel that gives the sound all steel players have been searching for probably will kill the used steel market because u will be happy with the steel u have With these new strings. When you change your wound strings with David’s new patented strings get ready for sustain like you won’t belive. Zane King an Robert Robert Randolph already our useing these strings An are very happy campers. Think piano sound on your bass strings deep An rich sound with more sustain than u need! How easy could it be too add strings an get something that’s been a missing link in your ability to get the sound you’ve dreamed of.

Got a link for them?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 10:43 am    

Not sure if these are the new or old ones:

https://www.jacksonsteelguitar.com/product/pedal-steel-guitar-strings-e9/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 11:58 am    

Greg it has nothing to do with regular strings they are for the wound strings we use on pedal steel. The core of the bass string is all that goes over the tone changer an same at nut.

Last edited by Johnie King on 31 Aug 2018 5:26 pm; edited 3 times in total

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 12:20 pm    

So, Johnie, any idea when these will be available? Love to try them, might really help my extended E9 low end.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 3:16 pm    

I tried to do a example of David's creation I failed but at least you get the concept from my attempt in picture. The ones David demoed were perfect at changer An nut.

Last edited by Johnie King on 31 Aug 2018 5:31 pm; edited 3 times in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 3:23 pm    

John I wish I could answer your question hopefully soon we can purchase these new style strings .

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 7:29 pm    

Interesting. This concept has been done before. I think it was with bass strings. It will have an effect on the height of the string messing up gauged roller nuts for one thing. RP

Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 11:44 pm    

Rotosound used to make guitar strings that did this and from what I remember they work

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 2:14 am    

In my 40 years of playing and owning pedal steel guitars I've never had a problem that this is supposed to "fix". I'll keep using George L's strings.

In the early 70's I worked at Little Roy Wiggins "Music City" music store, across Broadway from Tootsies and Sho-Bud. Little Roy's was the (official) Nashville dealer for Emmons Guitars. We had a lot of steel players come into the store and a lot of them pick on our store shows and I never heard one complain about this "problem".

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 1 Sep 2018 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 6:21 am    

[img]

[/img]

Aaron Johnson

Lemoore, CA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 6:33 am    

They look like my bass strings.....

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 6:48 am    

Is there any forum member out there that muight have something positive to say about this topic? Nay sayers are a dime a dozen

Last edited by Johnie King on 1 Sep 2018 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 6:55 am    

Intriguing concept! I'd definitely give these strings a try.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 6:56 am    

would love to check 'em out

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 7:17 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
In my 40 years of playing and owning pedal steel guitars I've never had a problem that this is supposed to "fix".

What Jack said. Sounds like a fix for a non issue. Marketing 101.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 7:20 am    

Perhaps Zane would like to join this thread and tell us about them from a player's perspective...?

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 8:05 am    

Guys this is a issue that gose back to the beginning of Sho Bud Days that the Pros of that time complained about after all theses years David Jackson has solved this issue. Zane can chime in if he likes but I was at Harry Jackson’s the day Zane an I were invited to test the new string consept. An Zane was thrilled at the improved sustain an sound.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 8:11 am    

Thanks Ross of course the answer I exspected from a pedal steel guitar innovator an builder that’s solving problems with the pedal steel that some people would never dream of.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 8:31 am    

Perhaps it would be more proper to refer to it as an "improvement".

I seriously doubt David Jackson would be working on this project, unless he felt it would provide some form of improvement or added benefit.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 8:44 am    

Lee thanks true

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 9:25 am    

I've seen these for bass guitar strings. Many reviews on these are out on the bass forums . SIT has them also, both taper and exposed:

http://sitstrings.com/products/bass/exposed-core-recessed-wound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 10:18 am    

On some of my acoustic guitars I have used GHS strings with the exposed core at the saddle. It did seem to provide a more defined bass note, and I liked it.

As has been mentioned here, if the string also has the exposed core at the roller as Johnnie King says it would potentially mess up the performance of any type of guaged roller system. However if the rollers are all the same depth it might not be an issue.

NOW THAT I HAVE THOUGH ABOUT IT A BIT MORE.......I see once again what a smart feller David Jackson is !!

I decided to quickly measure the cores of a set of E9 wound strings that would be a fairly common set. GHS Stainless, to be precise. I am also listing the plain strings to illustrate the outcome. I can't get the figures to display nicely without wasting even more time making them into some sort of document, you can get the idea anyway.

String Guage Core
10 17 17
9 34 16
8 30 15
7 26 15
6 22wound 14
5 17plain 17
4 14
3 12
2 15
1 13

POOF !! You don't need guaged rollers. Of course, you do need special strings.......still, it is a very creative idea. I doubt it will catch on but I do salute the thinking behind it.

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 11:12 am    

I don't have a complete set of these just yet on any my guitars. However, while David Jackson was working on this concept I did get a chance to play the prototype. What I can tell you is this is concept is akin to the bass strings from a piano. There is no question this will bring all of the wound strings to a whole new level. David setup a guitar where we had regular strings right next to these new strings. It was completely easy to hear the difference. They sustain considerable longer. However, what was really exciting was to hear the "life" in the string. It made the regular ones (like we use now) sound like a thud. I can't wait to have them on my guitar. I do know that David has rigged up Robert Randolph's new guitar with them. I think he is loving them.

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 11:34 am    

I would rather hear Yeah we tried them and they are great rather than No it won't work, I say let's get behind David and support him might just make evryone's night a lot better down the road. It may take a couple of fine tunings to get it right kinda like the Wright Bros. and look where were at now with aircrafts. My 2 cents and I'm not a pro just a bedroom type of guy.