The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  tuning question
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 10:02 pm    

So I'm going away from straight 440 and back to Eddies tempered tuning. be nice to have that in my stomp classic as a preset, and there's way to do it BUT! they only adjust in cents, and eddie adjusted the pitch.

IE: My B's are at 440, but the raise to C# is at 437. All my tuners have the ability to do that, but to save it in the stomp, I have to know how many cents that is.

anyone got any idea how to figure that out, or have a chart?

Hoping you do.....

john

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)

JB Arnold

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 11:42 pm    

found it

Here's a Table of Cents Difference for some frequencies close around 440 Hz:

Frequency Difference
435 Hz −19.78 cents
436 Hz −15.81 cents
437 Hz −11.84 cents
438 Hz −7.89 cents
439 Hz −3.94 cents
440 Hz ±0 cent
441 Hz +3.93 cents
442 Hz +7.85 cents
443 Hz +11.76 cents
444 Hz +15.67 cents
445 Hz +19.56 cents

So, the conversion factor 4 cents / Hz is valid for the purposes of tuning as an exception only very close around 440 Hz.
There is no conversion from Hz to cents and vice versa.
Statement: Cent is a logarithmic unit of measure of an interval, and that is a dimensionless "frequency ratio" of f2 / f1.

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 5:07 am    

The "Cent value-determination of an interval" calculation on this page: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-centsratio.htm is handy for converting any frequency deviation into cents. Works for deviations between ET and sweetened as long as you feed in the actual ET frequency for a given note on first line (Frequency f1), and the actual frequency/pitch you are trying to tune that note to on second line (Frequency f2), like in my example here…

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 6:11 am     Re: tuning question

JB Arnold wrote:
So I'm going away from straight 440 and back to Eddies tempered tuning.

Just curious. Who is Eddie?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 6:23 am    

I used the 4 cents per Hz for many years with tuners. Never seemed to be a problem with tuning.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 10:06 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I used the 4 cents per Hz for many years with tuners. Never seemed to be a problem with tuning.
That's because 4 cents is close enough for comfort when all is seen as deviations from the the actual note (any note) on the ET scale.
I cannot imagine that anyone can hear the difference between 4 cents, and the more exact 3.93015843943 cents/Hz.

Any confusion anyone may have comes from the use of the "440Hz" center-marking on tuners, as the center-point should only have been market "0 cent" = zero deviation from the ET scale based on "A<sub>4</sub>"=440Hz – regardless of actual note.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 1:26 pm    

Somewhere, Buddy E. talks about playing his steel along with the radio and as a result, he moved away from the tempered tuning and started tuning everything to A440.
Yeah, I know, those 3rds and that E-F lever sound a little rugged tuned straight up.
Sometimes I approach tuning differently. Playing with a band and for playing solo or with two or three players.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 1:30 pm    

All I know is if the Lead Singer Sings a perfect (root)E 440 note and the harmony singer sings a perfect (third)G# 440 note; that Harmony singer will be FIRED immediately for singing out of tune with the lead singer.
Ricky

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 1:51 pm    

Something to be said for getting those "beat notes" out.
I think Buddy tuned most of the the notes to harmonics and made minor adjustments from there.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 3:08 pm    

Chris Templeton wrote:
Somewhere, Buddy E. talks about playing his steel along with the radio and as a result, he moved away from the tempered tuning and started tuning everything to A440.
That is the most tempered tuning there is – called Equal Temperament, so B.E. most definitely did not move away from tempering.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 3:25 pm    

You know, tuning stuff flat.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 5:32 am    

Ricky Davis wrote:
All I know is if the Lead Singer Sings a perfect (root)E 440 note and the harmony singer sings a perfect (third)G# 440 note; that Harmony singer will be FIRED immediately for singing out of tune with the lead singer.
Ricky

Singers (good ones, that is) don't screw around endlessly staring at tuners, they concentrate on sounding good. Steel players should do the same. Wink

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 6:36 am    

Ricky Davis wrote:
Ricky

Laughing Laughing Well said, Ricky.

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 7:22 am    

I was friends with a very good steel player you all know. At one time he told me he was tuning everything to 440 and I could not figure how he was getting away with it. I finally guessed he was just playing everything so fast and not using that much harmony. He is tuning differently now I feel sure. That was a lot of years ago.

JB Arnold

Post  Posted 27 Aug 2018 9:59 am    

Lee: Eddie Fulawka. He has his own tuning chart he used to set up his guitars.

All-thanks for the input-as I got better I noticed that there was an off sounding interval or two that were sticking out, especially on recordings. moving to this new chart has fixed that.

JB