The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  stiff fingers?
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 5:49 am    

I've noticed more and more my left first finger is getting stiff but not painful. Any suggestions for ointment or other home remedies?
Geo

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 9:08 am    

Yes it is Inflammation and this has gotten me past not even being able to play to I continue on.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 9:34 am    

Probably be the beginning of arthritis. Before you get everyone under the sun’s ideas for what topical ointment or pill works best for them, try resting your hands; keep from playing for a few days and see if that relieves some of the stiffness. You can also try some hand exercises:
https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/ss/slideshow-hand-finger-exercises
http://www.healthmonitor.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/food-fitness/beat-rheumatoid-arthritis-hand-stiffness-simple-yoga-exercises

Don’t play your steel with cold hands. If you have bad circulation like me and your fingers are cold, go for a walk or do some exercise before you play. Drink plenty of water. Take a vitamin B complex supplement. Not that over the counter crap. Go to a holistic doctor and get the good stuff. If you live in a cannabis legal state, ask to try some CBD ointment at your local dispensary.

And remember to take frequent breaks when you practice. Put the bar down. Take some deep breaths. Get up off your seat and walk around a bit. Relax your shoulders when you play.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 9:41 am    

Ricky,
I take that. Very Happy
Erv

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 10:18 am    

Be careful with turmeric, especially in combination with other supplements or medication.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 11:02 am    

Fred Treece wrote: "Be careful with turmeric, especially in combination with other supplements or medication."
Why do you say this?
Some further explanation would be nice.

Ricky: What led you to this?
What dosage do you find helps?
(FYI, I have been taking it for the past 2-3 months, 500 mg 2x day, along with a couple of other things.

Warm up: One tip that I heard is to run your hands under warm water for 30 seconds to a minute before playing.
It sort of makes sense.

Another possible tip: Learn to relax. I have watched many videos of famous six stringers, and after a while I started to notice how relaxed their hands look, and the (lack of) motion to execute moves. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but Yngwie. Watch his picking hand, he's flying but it's barely moving. Steve Vai and Van Halen are also in that camp.

You could try searching this site, as this has been discussed in the past.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////
The following sort of deviate from the initial post/problem, but I thought they might be worthwhile mentioning. Maybe it would be better to start a new topic dealing specifically with these, if there is interest?

One thing I notice with steel players is posture. They often seem to be hunched over the steel. A couple decades of that and it's got to be bad for you. A stiff back brace may be something that we all could benefit from. Maybe a neck brace, too.

I have been dealing with a similar picking hand issue for a few months (ulnar nerve, and maybe in addition slight carpal tunnel).
I have tried several things so far, and have a few more to go.
While it's better than it was, I don't know if any of them have helped, it may actually be a combination of things. It could be something I'm doing, not doing any more, or a combination.
I actually don't know if it will ever get any better, but I figure I have to try.
Right now there is no pain per se, but it's just more of an annoyance, if you get my drift.

Not that age plays a factor, but I'm 61.
Not that occupation plays a factor, but I've never had a high/repetitive impact to the wrist/hand type occupation.
I'm not a doctor, but I've got to think that these things could play a part.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 1:29 pm    

ajm: I am not a doctor either, but the safety and effectiveness of taking extremely high doses of any herbal supplement should be confirmed by one educated in holistic treatments. Supplements and medications do interact in the same bloodstream after all. The possibility of counteraction or reduced effectiveness should be taken seriously. In the case of “blood thinner” type medications, a regular high dosage of turmeric curcumin can overdo the blood thinning and become a very serious problem.

“Warm up: One tip that I heard is to run your hands under warm water for 30 seconds to a minute before playing. It sort of makes sense” - Excellent advice. Anything to get the blood circulating all the way to the fingertips. Walking or other exercise works too, but I’m repeating myself there. I also sometimes use Hot Hands hand warmer packets on cold gigs.

Last edited by Fred Treece on 22 Aug 2018 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 1:34 pm    

I say, whatever works. Very Happy
It's a lot better than going to the doctor and taking 26 different pills!
Whoa!
Erv

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 2:55 pm    

I also take the same as Ricky and have for 5 years. I only take 1 per day. Works well for me.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 4:56 am    

ajm wrote:
I'm not a doctor, but I've got to think that these things could play a part.

They do. Weakness in the hands begins at the shoulders. Tight shoulders will cause nerve impingement for muscles down the line to the hands.
Everything begins at the spine; relaxed shoulders eliminates tension down the arms. A straight and relaxed back will align the shoulders.

That may not be the original poster's problem. I also am not a doctor.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 10:27 am    

ajm; I read about Turmeric many years ago as it is a "PLANT" "ROOT"...and is a natural Anti-inflammatory; so I started taking it 1000 MG a day for Allergies that have been huge prob my whole life and I used to get infections because of inflammation probably 5 to 6 times a year. Now 10 years later; I have been sick ONCE...that is it. Then I noticed my Carpel tunnel pain went away. My arthritis knuckle pain went away; My Tendentious went away; and I grew up a Gymnast; Motocross team with Yamaha; Daredevil; then Elite gymnastics coach and so all joints hurt all the time whole life; until Turmeric. I get what Fred T was trying to say; as if you do take/prescribed any MEDICATION...you should always check the list of anything that might interfere with that; so that what I take his saying: "Watch out for Turmeric" as it is NOT medication...but anything and everything in your blood can interfere with medications....so always take care. I DON'T take any medications...and here's a quick story nobody has heard. I landed on my head from a serious Dirt Bike crash 3 1/2 years ago; suffered Traumatic Brain Injury; broken neck; broken back; 5 broken ribs; collapsed lung; ripped up left knee; was in ICU for 10 days then moved to Rehab hospital and they had me booked in there for 2 1/2 months. When I woke up in Rehab. and finally realized I'm hurt and in hospital; I told my girlfriend sitting next to me to call my doctor in. He came in and I told him: "I know I'm hurt and I've been hurt my whole life; but I want you to take me off all medicine and just give me two Tylenol every 4 hours". He said: "Ricky you have broken neck; back; ribs; brain inury; you are in a LOT of pain" I said: "I know pain but I can NOT heal on your medicine; My body will heal itself". So he did what I said of course cause I'm an adult..and I told my girl friend to give me my Turmeric 2000 MG a day. So long story short I walked out of the hospital as I completely 2 1/2 months of therapy in a little over "1 MONTH"...on Turmeric.
I still take 1500 mg every day...and NO PAIN anywhere....I've worked in the Physical Athletic Body industry my whole life....yes I'm not a doctor; but I have amazed some high rated doctors and ortho's and physical therapists in my life; so I certainly know a few things.
(but I didn't know how dangerous it was to do a handstand on the edge of the North Rim Grand Canyon...yeehaa)

Ricky

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 1:49 pm    

Ricky, the South Rim is a little safer Cool

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 7:23 am    

Draw your own conclusions, guys..

The makers of dietary supplements are allowed to make 4 kinds of claims on the labels of their products. These claims are explained below.

Nutritional claims: These are statements about the general effects dietary supplements, vitamins, and minerals have on diseases known to be caused by nutrient deficiency. For example, “vitamin C prevents scurvy.” These claims do not need to be approved by the FDA (US Food and Drug Administration). But the label must also state how many cases of the disease occur in the United States. In this example, consumers must weigh the risk of getting scurvy (which is fairly rare in the US) against the potential risks of the supplement itself.

Claims of well being: These are just that – statements such as “makes you feel better.” These claims do not require pre-approval by the FDA. (See Complementary and Alternative Methods and Cancer and Placebo Effect for more information on these kinds of claims and the effects that supplements and other substances sometimes have.)

Health claims: These are statements about known health benefits of certain compounds. For example, risk-reduction claims such as “folate may reduce the chance of pregnant women delivering an infant with neural tube defects” fall into this category. The FDA must pre-approve all health claims, and requires that they be supported by evidence from scientific studies. Remember that risk-reduction claims are not the same as prevention claims.

Structure or function claims: These are the most confusing claims made to consumers. They are claims about the effect of the dietary supplement on the structure or function of the body. The FDA published a ruling in January 2000 that explained exactly what kinds of structure or function claims were OK for dietary supplements.

Dietary supplements may not make any claims regarding the treatment of disease. But the following descriptions and examples are considered structure or function claims that are OK for dietary supplements:

The product’s mechanism of action (“works as an antioxidant”)
The product’s effects on cellular structure (“helps membrane stability”)
The product’s effects on the body’s physiology (“promotes normal urinary flow”)
The product’s effects on chemical or lab test results (“supports normal blood glucose”)
Claims of maintenance (“helps maintain a healthy circulatory system”)
Other non-disease claims (“helps you relax”)
Claims for common conditions and symptoms related to life stages (“reduces irritability, bloating, and cramping associated with premenstrual syndrome”)
Structure or function claims are not reviewed by the FDA. In fact, labels that carry them must also include the disclaimer “This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.”

The FDA requires this disclaimer on supplement labels because it’s easy for consumers to misunderstand structure or function claims. For example, many consumers believe that a statement such as “helps maintain vision acuity” means the product has been proven to prevent vision loss, or that a statement like “helps maintain a healthy prostate gland” means the product has been proven to prevent or treat diseases like prostate cancer. This is not the case.

Don’t assume that because a product claims to support or promote healthy body function that it prevents or reduces the risk of any disease, including cancer. Unlike drugs, supplements are not intended to treat, diagnose, prevent, or cure diseases. This means supplements should not make claims, such as “reduces arthritic pain” or “treats heart disease.” Claims like these can only be made for drugs that have been proven to do what they claim.

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 8:58 am     Jury's in

Checked with a pharmacist this morning and she said since I take Lovastatin, the Turmeric would interfere with the breakdown in the liver.
Thanks to all for your suggestions. For now I'm just trying hot packs.
Geo

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 10:01 am    

As you take Lovastatin I'm not the least surprised that you get stiff fingers, as that is one of the more common side-effects of taking that drug.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 2:38 pm    

I'm sorry; your Pharmacist is incorrect(like most are).
Quote:
Lovastatin and Drug Interactions
You should tell your doctor about all prescription, non-prescription, illegal, recreational, herbal, nutritional, or dietary drugs you are taking, especially:

Boceprevir (Victrelis)
Clarithromycin (Biaxin)
Erythromycin (E.E.S.,EryC)
Itraconazole (Sporanox)
Ketoconazole (Nizoral)
Nefazodone (Serzone)
Certain HIV protease inhibitors including amprenavir (Agenerase), atazanavir (Reyataz), darunavir (Prezista), fosamprenavir (Lexiva), indinavir (Crixivan), lopinavir (Kaletra), nelfinavir (Viracept), ritonavir (Norvir, Kaletra), saquinavir (Invirase), and tipranavir (Aptivus)
Posaconazole (Noxafil)
Telaprevir (Incivek)
Telithromycin (Ketek)
Amiodarone (Cordarone, Pacerone)
Blood thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin)
Cimetidine (Tagamet)
Colchicine (Colcrys)
Cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune)
Danazol (Danocrine)
Diltiazem (Cardizem, Dilacor, Tiazac)
Other cholesterol-lowering medications such as fenofibrate (Tricor), gemfibrozil (Lopid), and niacin (nicotinic acid, Niacor, Niaspan)
Spironolactone (Aldactone)
Ranolazine (Ranexa)
Verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan)
Voriconazole (Vfend)

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 3:50 pm    

Ricky, I have my DOT physical on Friday, I'll ask my doctor about it.
Thanks again.
Geo

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 7:19 pm    

There ya go George; yes always check with Doctor about anything you are on; and what ever supplement you want to take. I live with and care for my 85 year old Mom that is also A-fib and before we do ANYTHING supplement or Herbal or etc...wise....we always check with "HER" Doctor.
Good on ya man.
Ricky

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 10:35 am     Gonna try it

Ricky, had my DOT physical this morning and asked the Dr. about it. He said try it and if it doesn’t show improvement with the first bottle, no point in trying a second, it’d just be a waste of money.
Geo

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 9:27 pm    

If your fingers are stiff, although you can't rule out any of the above, it may also be simple ergonomics. If you have either an orthopedist or a chiropractor, get them to watch you play or show them videos of you playing (if video, get a couple of different angles). You might be sitting funny, have your steel too high or low. All of those can cause RSI or bursitis or just cramping and stiffness. The best two beers I ever bought were bribing my chiropractor to come to a gig.

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 4:36 am     Lol

Lane, When I got to the beer bribe, I almost spit my coffee all over the key pad. It’s only my first and second fingers on my left hand that I have stiffness, first finger the worst.
Geo

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 4:55 am    

While that sounds like a joke, it actually was the agreement between he and me.
"Doc, my hands go numb and stiff when I play, and they didn't before. I think I'm doing something wrong. Can I bring my steel in and have you watch?"
"how about I see you on the stage so I know it's how you position yourself?"
"You'd do that?"
"Sure, just buy me a couple of beers and play me some Ray Price."

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 6:17 am    

I like your Doctors philosophy. Great guy with good taste in music.