The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Temperment Compensaters
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 5:37 am    

I have temperament compensaters on strings 1 & 7 on E9. I use Peterson tuners sweetened tunings. What is the proper way to tune the compensaters? These are not return compensaters and I don’t need instruction for them.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 8:51 am    

I'm not a fan of the concept, but I understand it and used to do it. Is the compensator on the A pedal, B pedal, or a knee? That's important.
What I'd recommend lacking that information is (assuming it's on the A pedal):
1) get a needle-based tuner to check the desired values after you tune by ear
2) tune 1 and 7 by ear to be beatless against 4, 5, 8 and 10 with the Es lowered. Make a note of this value, and adjust your tuning chart in your tuner to suit. This will be the open value
3) press the A and B pedals, and tune the 1st and 7th to be a beatless fifth against the A pedal's C#, note the value, then listen to it as you play it a little. Then retune it to be a beatless minor third against the B pedal's A, not this value. Play a little, see if you like it better than against the C#. Choose the one you like better, and adjust the F# of the pedals's chart to reflect that value.
If all that guff was hard to follow, give me a call at 816-206-0239

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 9:17 am    

I don't have any of that style compensator.
But, as I understand them they go flat (cabinet drop) when certain pedal or knee lever is pushed. Thus with the pedal (or knee lever) that causes it to go flat is pushed, tune the compensator for the string to the Open tuning setting in the SE9 program.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 9:32 am    

Temperament compensation is a different critter from cabinet drop compensators.
If you tune your F# to be a perfect 5th against the B strings, it'll be sharp against either the D string or the C# of the B string, A pedal (and noticeably against the A of the 6th string, B pedal).
It's usually compensated on either the A or B pedal.
I'm glad I went away from those.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 1:13 pm    

On my uni, I tune string 7 with 5 and lowered 4 & 8 to make the B chord, which is essential for B6 playing.

When I press pedal A or C, string 7 lowers a fraction to give F#m with pedal B, which I use less but can do so without fear.

It's simple and it works. What's not to like? Why would you have it then ditch it?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 6:09 pm    

Because I started going down a rabbit hole of truing every chord. Then I read where some guy named Emmons had gone back to ET and was still in tune.
And a B3 sounds good to me, as does a piano or a Rhodes.
And it just sounded simpler.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 11:53 pm    

Happy bunny here. ET for playing out? Maybe. For solitary practice? Rather eat glass.

It's the trombonist in me. If I can hear beats my instinct tells me I'm out and I need to correct. What drew me to the pedal steel in the first place is its sonority. To me a piano sounds like a bag of nails and I have no urge to copy one. We tolerate them because they have a rapid decay which doesn't rub your nose in the dirt. But on the steel you want to maximize the sustain, not the pain.

Not picking a fight with Lane - he knows plenty Smile

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 5:07 pm    

Lane, without getting it out of the case to be sure, on the Hybrid it appears the compensater on the 7th string is activated on the A pedal shaft and the one on string 1 is activated by the B pedal shaft. My D10 is not at home right now to check, but I’m sure it’s on pedal shafts too. I had a JCH one time that I could feel the compensater pick up on the pedal and I couldn’t go that. I don’t feel it on the Zums.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2018 3:55 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
Because I started going down a rabbit hole of truing every chord. Then I read where some guy named Emmons had gone back to ET and was still in tune.

of course... been tuning everything 440 my whole life, and didn’t even know I was playing out of tune until I joined the forum 🤣 ...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2018 5:28 pm    

Tune the compensators so that strings 1 & 7 sound in tune with everything else when A & B are down. When you have them where they sound in tune, then you can note what their offsets are on the Peterson.

Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 12:26 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:
Lane Gray wrote:

of course... been tuning everything 440 my whole life, and didn’t even know I was playing out of tune until I joined the forum 🤣 ...

Laughing Laughing Laughing