The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Billy Ray Latham
Scott Shipley

The Ozark Mountains
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 1:28 pm    

Banjoist with The Kentucky Colonels and later The Dillards has passed at the age of 80.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 3:45 pm    

Billy Ray came to Eureka Springs a few years ago to play banjo at a country music show that was starting up. The cast and musicians were all under the age of 25, and they asked what Billy Ray wanted to play on the banjo. He said, "Foggy Mtn. Breakdown". The musicians got a deer in the headlights look, so Billy said, "OK, how about Cripple Creek"? Again the deer in the headlights look. Billy said, "I'm sorry, you don't need a banjo player with this outfit", and left. The show never got off the ground.Billy came by the show I was in and told me this. We both got a laugh from it. We were going to meet and pick a few, but he took off for California, and it never happened. Billy Ray was on the Andy Griffith show with the Colonels before the Dillards came along. RIP my friend.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2018 1:04 am    

Godspeed Billy Ray.

You played a mean banjo and took it places we remember fondly.

The Kentucky Colonels, 1963: Roland White, Roger Bush, Clarence White, Bobby Slone, Billy Ray Latham.

The week wasn't complete without Andy, Barney, Opie, Aunt Bee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpKhWePGNPc
Billy Ray on the Andy show with the Colonels.

Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 27 Aug 2018 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pat Heller

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2018 6:49 pm    

Sorry to hear of Billy Ray's passing. I worked with him in the late 60's at the Ozark Opry in Osage Beach Mo. He was a great picker and gentleman. I never saw him after I left for Nam in 70, but his friendship was never forgotten. May he rest in peace. P.H.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 12:22 pm    

Sad to hear, Billy was a good pal to me during my bluegrass days in Southern California. Last time I saw him was in Nashville in 1995. He'd changed quite a bit since the 60's.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2018 12:18 pm    

RIP buddy!

One of the funniest (and nicest) people I've ever met in the music business. Saw him play and jammed with him man times. His one man "banjo with a b-bender and effects pedals" one-man show he did at bluegrass festivals for a while was absolutely *insane* - and good, and falling-down-laughing funny.

A wonderfully talented man who will be sorely missed.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2018 4:00 pm    

I feel so old... Sad. I remember the band before they were the Colonels. They had just started playing the Ash Grove, the folk club that was my high school hangout, and they were the Country Boys. I had a bluegrass band in high school at that time and if you can believe it, Mike Perlowin played bass! Whoa!

The band in 1962 was Clarence, Roger, Billy, and Leroy Mack. Roland was in the army, but was soon to be discharged and the young bluegrassers hanging at the Grove were in high anticipation. Somewhere within a mountain of reel-to-reel tapes that are probably disintegrated beyond repair in my garage is a tape of a mando lesson I had with Roland, at the Ash Grove in 1965. My band had a gig at the 1965 UCLA Folk Festival and I wanted ideas for a solo to "Salt Creek."

Billy did country comedy with the band, with Roger as straight man. Groanable hillbilly comedy, but actually some jokes I've modified for use when I do a Herb Steiner set somewhere. Recycling old jokes for generations that hadn't ever heard them CAN work.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 11:08 am    

I played a couple gigs in the 80s with Billy in his band at that time, "BanJovi" .... What a cool guy! Nice guy! Talented and fun guy! R.I.P. Billy