The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Your Pick For The Big "E" Of Today
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2018 6:16 am    

There are so many good ones now and a few super Pickers but to choose anyone I'll leave that alone. Just to say that a lot of them wouldn't be picking as good as they are if there never was a Buddy Emmons.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 9:04 am    

"One thing stands out and that is the thought of how durable and unchanged the PP steel remains based on its conception and design features by Buddy Emmons. A living tribute to the acknowledged Master. The benchmark sound for steel guitar...”

(Clem Schmitz)

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 4:44 am    

Someone will come along and redefine the instrument or it won't survive. They will almost need to come out of nowhere musically speaking. Everyone mentioned in this thread are great players in their on right but without BigE's influence its doubtful they would be where they are on the instrument. Mechanically speaking, technology will continue to move the instrument forward. With the advancements in computers, I believe eventually pitch change of the strings will be done electronically eliminating the need for complicated changers, rods and compensators. Oh, and no neck warp/de-tuning.. You will still have pedals and knee levers but they will be reconfigurable with the touch of a button depending on your need for that song. The computer will make the changes in the tuning so that string/pedal combinations with be in-tune... The guitars will sound better than a Push Pull because the strings will connect to a bridge that is connected to the body, not to a changer. The feel of the pedals on the guitar can be adjusted electronically also. This can happen much faster than you might think. Ten years ago I bought a real 500,000.00 helicopter complete with everything I needed to do high quality video, five years later it was replaced by a 1,500.00 drone. Personal I'm excited about the possibilities. I remember Buddy talking about the future of the steel at a concert he did for us here in Lubbock back in the 80's. The things he talked about where more far fetched than anything I've mentioned here...

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 5:16 am    

The PSG wont survive the next hundred years nor will the musical genres we grew up with. If this world still exists it will be NWO muzak.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 5:23 am    

Wally Moyers wrote:
I remember Buddy talking about the future of the steel at a concert he did for us here in Lubbock back in the 80's. The things he talked about where more far fetched than anything I've mentioned here...

I'd love to hear what his 80s vision of the future was, if you'd care to share it with us, Wally.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 5:42 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Wally Moyers wrote:
I remember Buddy talking about the future of the steel at a concert he did for us here in Lubbock back in the 80's. The things he talked about where more far fetched than anything I've mentioned here...

I'd love to hear what his 80s vision of the future was, if you'd care to share it with us, Wally.

Buddy talked about being frustrated by his musical limitations due to tunings and his physical limitations/chops. He said he believed that someday there would be a devise you could put on your head that could read your musical thoughts and then reproduce those through an instrument... Jim, can you imagine what he must have been hearing?! The things he played that night still blows me away just thinking about it... He also talked about the need to develop the sound of the instrument to be more versatile like the guitar is. He said that was why he experimented with the effects he was using back then. That night he had a Korg synth, a pitch change devise for harmony parts, a phaser, delay and a looper... What a innovator...

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 8:50 am    

Quote:
If this world still exists it will be NWO muzak.

Joachim, please define the acronym NWO..

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 9:04 am    

New World Order.

Or maybe, Not Worth Otterpuke.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 11:33 am    

Quote:
New World Order.

Thanks, Fred. Sounds like CTC to me - Conspiracy Theory Crap.. Muttering My apologies for the topic drift.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 11:59 am    

Good for you Barry if You see it this way. Keeps you from being depressed like I am these days.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 8:10 am     Tribute to Buddy Emmons

Here's something you all might like.
https://youtu.be/k-9g0okYkCM

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 3:37 pm    

Joey, I bet I watched that video a dozen times!!! Loved it!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 3:38 pm    

Joey, I bet I watched that video a dozen times!!! Loved it!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 6:31 pm    

I don't think anyone will ever be as influential in so many aspects of pedal steel guitar. That time and era has passed. There are many fine players, but there are a lot of boxes that would have to be checked to match all that Emmons did, let alone the remote possibility of anyone ever eclipsing his accomplishments. He was a premier player, a singer, an inventor, an innovator, a designer, a builder, a writer, a teacher, and a composer.

We're truly blessed that he was around long enough to do so much, and to do it so well.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 5:09 pm    

Amen Donny...….