The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  National Grand Console
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2018 6:13 am    

Although I am certainly not an expert on either company, I notice one construction technique that the Grand Console and the Stringmaster share is they both employ modular necks. Did National get there first? Quite possibly.

Was Leo Fender adverse to copying and/or adapting the ideas and designs of others? Merle Travis, Paul Bigsby, Bob Crooks, the Tutmark's, and undoubtedly a few other folks, didn't believe he was.

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2018 8:12 am    

Well put Jack.
Back in the mid 40's you see a lot of Western guys playing either Nationals and the metal bodied Rickenbacker (bakelite necks) stair step model D-16.

Leo definitely got a lot of ideas from what was already out there. He was good at improving and simplifying designs, and making them easier to build.
Instrument building has been a slow evolution since day one, and ideas are gained along the way.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2018 7:14 pm    

Just wondering if it is possible to switch out the pickups on a National D8 without too much difficulty? Are the pickup and bridge integral with one another?

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 2:27 pm    

Jason Lollar has upgraded magnets for the Nd8 console. He fixed one broken p'up on mine and and I purchased his magnets for both p'ups as the originals weren't balanced even after a recharge. His are higher gauss than the originals and sound great. I've got a Dual pro8 and the National now and will keep both. Different sounds.