The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Close please customer is keeping Carter Starter
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 3:55 pm    

Customer decided too keep it after I worked on It.
don’t have a clue what these sell for let me know if I’ve priced it too high. Carter starter in very good condition. $795 plus ride e9th 4 knees 3 pedals. Comes with case. Ready for pro or student without breaking the bank. Come check it out.

Contact zkinglapsteel@gmail.com

Last edited by Johnie King on 13 Aug 2018 11:33 am; edited 5 times in total

Mike Marsh

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 4:27 pm     PM sent

PM sent.
Thx
Mike

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 7:03 am    

I improved the knee leaver stops on two of the Carter knee leavers works like a champ know. I played this steel an don’t see any problem for a beginner or pro to do gigs with this.

Ken Karn

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2018 3:53 am    

Hi, could you tell me/ us more about your
Lever-stop improvement?
Looks quite interesting.
Thanks, either way!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2018 6:20 am    

Ken Karn wrote:
Hi, could you tell me/ us more about your
Lever-stop improvement?
Looks quite interesting.
Thanks, either way!

Looks like a flat slotted piece of flat metal making an adjustable, solid stopping point. Excellent idea.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2018 7:02 am    

Yes Patrick your right an it made a world of difference. Actually u could do a gig know with this steel.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 4:42 am    

Johnie King wrote:
Yes Patrick your right an it made a world of difference. Actually u could do a gig know with this steel.

Johnie,
I’ve owned one myself and on mine I removed the original screw who’s head served as the stop and replaced it with a small wooden block. The Achilles heel of the Carter Starter was those screw heads used for stops as the material the knees were made from would bend kinda easy and the screw head stop was small diameter making any flex at all cause the knee to miss the stop. Easily fixed. Otherwise they were great sounding and playing steels. Your “hack” is one of the more ingenious ones I’ve seen. I’d love to have another Starter to carry and use for practice when I work out of town every weekend....the D10 Mullen is a back breaker lol.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 4:45 am    

Johnie King wrote:

And absolutely you can gig with these. They have excellent tone.

Mike Marsh

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 11:07 am     PM Sent.

I'll take it!
Thanx,
Mike