The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  'Reshaping' The Sound of a Nashville 112?
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 8:58 am    

I'm looking for a second Nashville 112 to juggle for when gear needs to be in two places at once.

Last night I A/B'd mine with one that I'm interested in buying. Both are stock, including the stock speaker. Mine is an older one and the other, though newer, is older than the current 'chicken head knob' model.

I noticed that the one I was trying out had slightly less volume at similar settings (This was a minimal difference, though.) What really bothered me sonically, though, was that it had a considerably 'harder', almost brittle, sound as well as noticeably less clarity in the low end. To my ears, it sounded like the speaker wasn't broken in although it certainly has been played enough that breaking in shouldn't be an issue here.

So... other than 'luck of the draw' with components, what would cause those differences and what would my options be for smoothing out the sound?

I know a speaker swap in theoretically a no-brainer but I like the sound of the Blue Marvel in my current amp just fine so unless the speaker is actually shot - which I guess is possible - that's not what I'm after here.

I ask partially just because I'm an electronics nincompoop and am interested in knowing and partially because, after a certain amount of spending, the amp would stop being a good deal at the current asking price.

Thoughts?

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 11:30 am     Nv 112

The amp that sounds best may have the Ken Fox tone mod chips. That would definitely make a difference in the 2 amps.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 12:09 pm    

Thanks, Dale. No mods in my current amp, though.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 2:40 pm    

Could need a recap. If the B+ voltage isn't up to snuff, the sound will be degraded.

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 5:53 pm    

I had a different problem with a 112, intermittent distortion and loss of power. Upon the advice of forum members ( Georg and Jack) I sprayed the input jacks with Deoxit. Fixed the problem and amp never sounded better. I'm mainly a tube guy, but I use the Nash for practice , in order to keep the mileage on my tube amps low, saving them for gigs. After this I fed all my amps a little Deoxit.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 8:31 am    

Ditto re: recap and DeOxit cleaning. Degraded caps will definitely and negatively affect an amp’s sound and performance. Dirty input and/or switching jacks can, too. Cleaning those takes 5 minutes, a can of electronic cleaner, and cotton swabs. Cheap.

Cap jobs are another thing. I do my own but if you don’t it can get expensive.