The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Brainard - Christopher March August 26th
Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 1:51 pm    

Sunday August 26th 3-7PM at the Double Aught Ranch in Candy Oregon. The format will be two featured steel players doing 5 or 6 songs each followed by another set of structured jamming. The jam will be 5-7pm with a live rhythm section with a few of Portland's finest. We're gonna limit the number of steelers onstage to three. Each player picks one song. That way you'll get a chance to get good and warmed up and show your stuff. It's a great format because it will really put you in the spotlight. I guarantee you'll walk away a better player than when you walked in. So guys, don't miss this chance to get ready for the BIG Portland jam coming up on Sept 9th!! To reserve a spot in the jam PM me on the forum or send an email to Gthor2016@gmail.com

FEATURED PLAYERS TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON

Last edited by Gary Thorsen on 25 Aug 2018 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2018 12:51 pm     Christopher March August 26th 3:00 PM

Christopher March has volunteered, well, maybe he was coerced, into taking one of the two featured player slots for the first jam in Canby Oregon at the Double Aught. That a way Christopher!! I'd like to thank him for his bravery. I can say from personal experience that being a featured instrumentalist in front of a room full of fellow steel players is an exciting and rewarding experience. It's a real motivator to hit the woodshed and it's a great opportunity to become a better player. And as Tony Glassman once said to me, it takes some rocks!! Please come on out and cheer Christopher on during his performance .

We may have another player to announce later today after he checks his schedule...stay tuned fellow steelers.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 7:35 am    

Hi Gary, I would recommend having this at The Ponderosa the day before Larry's jam.
Maybe if we unify these things we can get a two-day Portland Show going that would be worthy of getting some national Pro's and fans to come out here.

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 10:46 pm     Ponderosa

Thanks Pete!! that's an excellent idea. I think a Portland event featuring players from all over the country is something that needs to happen and Larry would be THE guy to spearhead that. However, I have committed to Claude at the Double Aught to organize a monthly steel guitar jam. Our idea is to provide a platform for local players to showcase their talent and jam. In no way is this gathering intended to compete with Larry's semi-annual events.

This monthly format is widely used around Texas where they have the Jamboree in Dallas every March, which we all know is the largest steel gathering in the world. It's a monumental undertaking and Albert and Debbie have been doing a great job and a great service to the steel guitar community.

So I don't see how we can lose. And I agree, let's get together and make something bigger happen. But let us not forget guys like Claude who are willing to give us an opportunity every month to play our instrumentals and hone our craft for the big shows. I don't know of another club owner in the NW who is willing to do that. Come on out and pick guys. The more you play, the better you will play!!

Last edited by Gary Thorsen on 19 Aug 2018 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 11:20 pm     Paul Brainard and Christopher March Aug 26th Canby Oregon

These two brave lads are bringing it!! I can't thank Paul and Christopher enough for stepping up and volunteering to be the first two featured players at the Double Aught Steel Jam. Pete Wolfe on bass and Dan Premmer on drums also deserve a hardy thank you for backing up all the players and jammers. These guys are taking the day off from a high-profile gig with local honky-tonk legends, The Desert Dogs, to back up the players at our humble steel guitar gathering.

Chris March will kick things off at 3:00 PM. Christopher, no stranger to the stage, is a fine guitar player and has been playing straight steel for only a few years. We should all admire his courage so let's get out and cheer him on. He'll be playing a Jerry Byrd tune or two and some Ray Montee tunes as well.

Next up will be Paul Brainard, a veteran, multi-talented musician and 2016 inductee to the Oregon Music Hall of Fame. He will be playing his original compositions. I guarantee it'll be worth the drive out to Canby to see these two lads play.

Jam to follow! bring your ax, pedal, picks and bar. Should be plenty of amps around for the three up - three song format. The back-line will include a Luker, Evans and Randall amp.

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 11:46 pm     Hughey's JCH

I am bringing John Hughey's red 10x9 JCH at the jam. This guitar was the guitar he cut Lost in the Feeling on. Conway Twitty considered this song a duet with John. It's not Jerry Garcia's Strat but...well, I'd rather own this guitar quite frankly.

I've been told by Tommy Minniear, who helped Jimmy build it, that I should charge to let people look at it. But, fool that I am, you'll all be welcome to sit behind it, touch it, play it and absorb the "Feeling" for yourselves. It's something to behold. Certainly I am committed to rendering the tune for you - to the best of my ability.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 5:47 am    

OK best of luck to you on getting your Canby Steel Show up and running!
Darn, I work every Sunday til 6:30pm out in Hillsboro, so I am hoping you post lots of pics and vids!
Smile

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 9:26 am     Jam times

Sorry Pete, we'd love to have you at the jam. Maybe at some point in the future you will be able to get a Sunday afternoon off and be one of the featured players? We could have you on at 6:30? My idea was to have the jam in the evening but there is a regular karaoke event that starts at 8pm. So we need to outperform that group on the til to get the evening slot.

BTW, they have great food at the Double Aught.